JDBC-connection Problem

  • Schonder, Matthias
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hei:)

      I've a strange problem with Firebird/Interbase. When I try to connect:

      c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, usr, pwd);

      the application hangs. I tried it with two Firebird/Interbase - Databases..
      one on linux the other on windoze.
      Also a DB2-Connection in the same programm works... but not hte interbase...

      can anyone help me out?

      Peace,

      Matthias Schonder
      Matthias Schonder Hans Geis GmbH + Co.
      Tel.: ++49-(0)9771/603-307 Rudolf-Diesel-Ring 24
      Fax: ++49-(0)9771/603-259 97616 Bad Neustadt/S.

      EMail: mailto:matthias.schonder@...
      Internet: http://www.geis-group.com
    • Luca Lafranchi
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Matthias :)

        Could you give us more information?
        Which database (Firebird OR Interbase?)? Which version?
        Which driver (jaybird or Interclient)? Which version?
        How does your connection string look like?

        Ciao
        Luca

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
          How can I be more specific?
          I tried it with several IB-Databases... but the one I need it for is a
          Firebird SuperServer 1.0.2.908-1.64IO ... that's the package name..
          The driver is the 1.0 Jaybird version from http://firebird.sf.net but I also
          used an older one that has been contributed by someone.. sorry, forgot his
          name.

          Here are the code snippets:
          ----------------
          java.sql.Driver d = new interbase.interclient.Driver ();
          this.c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, this.usr, this.pwd);
          ----------------

          but I also used Class for Name... the above is from a
          "interbase-connection-test" app where I tried EVERYTHING... but no luck.

          And again.. there is no exception thrown.. all that happens is that the app
          is hangin (maybe running in a infintive loop)..

          This is all info I can offer...

          thanks for the help.

          Schonder, Matthias wrote:
          >> Hei:)
          >>
          >> I've a strange problem with Firebird/Interbase. When I try to connect:
          >>
          >> c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, usr, pwd);
          >>
          >> the application hangs. I tried it with two Firebird/Interbase -
          Databases..
          >> one on linux the other on windoze.
          >> Also a DB2-Connection in the same programm works... but not hte
          >>interbase...
          >>

          >> can anyone help me out?

        • Herman Timmermans
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
            On Monday 02 June 2003 16:23, Schonder, Matthias wrote:
            > How can I be more specific?
            > I tried it with several IB-Databases... but the one I need it for is a
            > Firebird SuperServer 1.0.2.908-1.64IO ... that's the package name..
            > The driver is the 1.0 Jaybird version from http://firebird.sf.net but I
            > also used an older one that has been contributed by someone.. sorry, forgot
            > his name.
            >
            > Here are the code snippets:
            > ----------------
            > java.sql.Driver d = new interbase.interclient.Driver ();
            I'm confused here, are you using Jaybird or Interclient JDBC driver?
            In case of Jaybird:
            Should this not be ... = new org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver ();

            > this.c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, this.usr, this.pwd);
            > ----------------
            >
            > but I also used Class for Name... the above is from a
            > "interbase-connection-test" app where I tried EVERYTHING... but no luck.
            >
            > And again.. there is no exception thrown.. all that happens is that the app
            > is hangin (maybe running in a infintive loop)..
            >
            > This is all info I can offer...
            >
            > thanks for the help.
            >
            > >Hi Matthias :)
            > >
            > >Could you give us more information?
            > >Which database (Firebird OR Interbase?)? Which version?
            > >Which driver (jaybird or Interclient)? Which version?
            > >How does your connection string look like?
            > >
            > >Ciao
            > >Luca
            >
            > Schonder, Matthias wrote:
            > >> Hei:)
            > >>
            > >> I've a strange problem with Firebird/Interbase. When I try to connect:
            > >>
            > >> c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, usr, pwd);
            > >>
            > >> the application hangs. I tried it with two Firebird/Interbase -
            >
            > Databases..
            >
            > >> one on linux the other on windoze.
            > >> Also a DB2-Connection in the same programm works... but not hte
            > >>interbase...
            > >>

            > >> can anyone help me out?

            ****************** E-Mail Privacy disclaimer ************
            This message and any attachments thereto are confidential. They may also
            be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other
            legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by
            e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this
            message or disclose its contents to anyone.
            information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late
            or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore is in no way
            liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this message, which
            may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required,
            please request a hard copy.
          • Schonder, Matthias
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
              >I'm confused here, are you using Jaybird or Interclient JDBC driver?
              >In case of Jaybird:
              >Should this not be ... = new org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver ();

              ermm... now you confused me, the jdbc-jar I downloaded from firebird.sf.net
              does not contain a package with the path org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver
            • Herman Timmermans
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
                On Tuesday 03 June 2003 07:41, Schonder, Matthias wrote:
                > >I'm confused here, are you using Jaybird or Interclient JDBC driver?
                > >In case of Jaybird:
                > >Should this not be ... = new org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver ();
                >
                > ermm... now you confused me, the jdbc-jar I downloaded from firebird.sf.net
                > does not contain a package with the path org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver

                Hi Matthias,
                if you go to the IBPhoenix download page
                (http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1054619556:62651&page=ibp_download)
                You can download both Interclient as well as Jaybird, please make sure you
                select Firebird Class 4 JCA-JDBC driver "JayBird" .
                You should then get the download page and select the following link to do the
                actual downloading : * 30th April 2003 JCA-JDBC driver (.zip) (1.2mb).
                Hope this helps,
                Brgds,
                Herman
              • Schonder, Matthias
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2003
                  >Hi Matthias,
                  >if you go to the IBPhoenix download page
                  >(http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1054619556:62651&page=ibp_
                  download)
                  >You can download both Interclient as well as Jaybird, please make sure you
                  >select Firebird Class 4 JCA-JDBC driver "JayBird" .
                  >You should then get the download page and select the following link to do
                  the
                  >actual downloading : * 30th April 2003 JCA-JDBC driver (.zip) (1.2mb).
                  >Hope this helps,
                  >Brgds,
                  >Herman

                  Hei :)

                  Thank you very much... but I had no luck.

                  Not I run into this
                  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/resource/ResourceException
                  at IB_aristoteles.ansprechen(IB_aristoteles.java:31)
                  at IB_aristoteles.<init>(IB_aristoteles.java:27)
                  at Ibtest.<init>(Ibtest.java:18)
                  at Ibtest.main(Ibtest.java:32)
                  Exception in thread "main"

                  this is my codesnipped:
                  --------------------------------
                  public IB_aristoteles () {

                  this.url =
                  "jdbc:firebird://192.61.37.63:3050//Datenbanken/Pivot/Pivot.gdb";
                  this.usr= "SYSDBA";
                  this.pwd = "masterkey";
                  this.classname = "org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver";
                  ansprechen();
                  }
                  private void ansprechen() {
                  try {
                  Class.forName(classname);
                  //this.d = new org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver();
                  this.c = DriverManager.getConnection(url, this.usr,
                  this.pwd);
                  } catch( SQLException e ) {
                  e.printStackTrace();
                  } catch (Exception e) {
                  e.printStackTrace();
                  }
                  }
                  --------------------------------

                  It's a pretty wierd...
                  could it be, that the firebird needs something like a module to be able to
                  handle JDBC requests?
                • Luca Lafranchi
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
                    Hi Matthias :)

                    Be aware that the .zip file itself isn't the driver. If you open it
                    you'll find many jar files. What you need is "firebirdsql-full.jar".

                    Ciao
                    Luca

                  • Schonder, Matthias
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3, 2003
                      Hei :)

                      Thank you anybody how helped me
                      jaybird works. I used the wrong prefix in the with firebirdsql-full :/
                      ... now it works..