Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

JayBird status

Expand Messages
  • mirmalag
    Hi Roman, I m requested to lead a JavaEE 6 project using JBoss AS 6 and Firebird as a backend. Are the drivers feature complete or are there unimplemented
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Roman,
      I'm requested to lead a JavaEE 6 project using JBoss AS 6 and Firebird as a backend. Are the drivers feature complete or are there unimplemented ones?
      My boss want to be sure about any bump on the road, so I'm asking here prior to set up a trial environment myself and any help is really appreciated.
      Contributing the project is a viable option to ensure to reach the project goal.

      Thank you.

      Mirco
    • Roman Rokytskyy
      Hi Mirco, ... Mark implemented JDBC 4.1 support (Java 7) and at the moment he is working on the release notes. I do not expect any additional API changes
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Mirco,

        > I'm requested to lead a JavaEE 6 project using JBoss AS 6 and
        > Firebird as a backend. Are the drivers feature complete or are there
        > unimplemented ones?
        > My boss want to be sure about any bump on the road, so I'm asking
        > here prior to set up a trial environment myself and any help is
        > really
        > appreciated.
        > Contributing the project is a viable option to ensure to reach the
        > project goal.

        Mark implemented JDBC 4.1 support (Java 7) and at the moment he is
        working on the release notes. I do not expect any additional API changes
        before release. There is one open ticket JDBC-192, which has to be
        closed before release, but that's it.

        Re. whether driver is feature complete... There are features in
        Firebird that are not fully supported by the driver (e.g. optimized wire
        protocol support), however they will not be part of the v2.2 release
        anyway. So the task is rather to check whether everything you need is
        there.

        Regards,
        Roman
      • Mark Rotteveel
        On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:48:00 +0200, Roman Rokytskyy ... I implemented all methods to satisfy the interfaces, but most of the new JDBC 4.1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:48:00 +0200, Roman Rokytskyy <roman@...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Mirco,
          >
          >> I'm requested to lead a JavaEE 6 project using JBoss AS 6 and
          >> Firebird as a backend. Are the drivers feature complete or are there
          >> unimplemented ones?
          >> My boss want to be sure about any bump on the road, so I'm asking
          >> here prior to set up a trial environment myself and any help is
          >> really
          >> appreciated.
          >> Contributing the project is a viable option to ensure to reach the
          >> project goal.
          >
          > Mark implemented JDBC 4.1 support (Java 7) and at the moment he is
          > working on the release notes. I do not expect any additional API changes

          > before release. There is one open ticket JDBC-192, which has to be
          > closed before release, but that's it.

          I implemented all methods to satisfy the interfaces, but most of the new
          JDBC 4.1 features *will* throw SQLFeatureNotSupportedException; I however
          believe that most of the methods added in JDBC 4.1 are relatively esoteric,
          but for Jaybird 2.3 I will implement some of them and other optional JDBC
          parts currently not supported.

          I hope to have a draft version of the release notes by next week, so we
          might also want to prepare a release candidate.

          > Re. whether driver is feature complete... There are features in
          > Firebird that are not fully supported by the driver (e.g. optimized wire

          > protocol support), however they will not be part of the v2.2 release
          > anyway. So the task is rather to check whether everything you need is
          > there.

          Mirco, could you give a bit more detail about which features you think you
          will absolutely need?

          Mark
        • mirmalag
          Nice to meet you Roman and Mark, I can t presently dig into deep detail. What I know for sure is that we will use EntityBeans wherever possible. The platform
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 20, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            Nice to meet you Roman and Mark,
            I can't presently dig into deep detail.
            What I know for sure is that we will use EntityBeans
            wherever possible. The platform uses Jta for transaction control.
            For the parts of the application that will require explicit SQL, I'm pretty confident that current feature set doesn't pose big problems.
            In fact the application is a rebuild of a current pure C/S one and the current database design will be modified as little as possible.
            I feel unsure about the parts of the new application that will be
            implemented using platform components that will use the database
            through standard protocols and methods.
            I'm already in the process of building confidence with JavaEE 6,
            a new beast for me, and interfacing the database is a delicate issue.
            It seems that the standard choice is MySql, for this kind of project.
            Fact is we have deep knowledge of Firebird and want to stay with it.
            But I don't know directly of other experiences in using Firebird as a JavaEE backend.
            We will build the trial environment soon, I hope, then be able to
            come back with some result.

            Thank you,
            Mirco

            --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, Mark Rotteveel <mark@...> wrote:
            >
            > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:48:00 +0200, Roman Rokytskyy <roman@...>
            > wrote:
            > > Hi Mirco,
            > >
            > >> I'm requested to lead a JavaEE 6 project using JBoss AS 6 and
            > >> Firebird as a backend. Are the drivers feature complete or are there
            > >> unimplemented ones?
            > >> My boss want to be sure about any bump on the road, so I'm asking
            > >> here prior to set up a trial environment myself and any help is
            > >> really
            > >> appreciated.
            > >> Contributing the project is a viable option to ensure to reach the
            > >> project goal.
            > >
            > > Mark implemented JDBC 4.1 support (Java 7) and at the moment he is
            > > working on the release notes. I do not expect any additional API changes
            >
            > > before release. There is one open ticket JDBC-192, which has to be
            > > closed before release, but that's it.
            >
            > I implemented all methods to satisfy the interfaces, but most of the new
            > JDBC 4.1 features *will* throw SQLFeatureNotSupportedException; I however
            > believe that most of the methods added in JDBC 4.1 are relatively esoteric,
            > but for Jaybird 2.3 I will implement some of them and other optional JDBC
            > parts currently not supported.
            >
            > I hope to have a draft version of the release notes by next week, so we
            > might also want to prepare a release candidate.
            >
            > > Re. whether driver is feature complete... There are features in
            > > Firebird that are not fully supported by the driver (e.g. optimized wire
            >
            > > protocol support), however they will not be part of the v2.2 release
            > > anyway. So the task is rather to check whether everything you need is
            > > there.
            >
            > Mirco, could you give a bit more detail about which features you think you
            > will absolutely need?
            >
            > Mark
            >
          • Yves Glodt
            ... As a side note, I can tell you that I have built a medium-sized issue tracking system (a product my company sells) as MVC Java-Webapp, on top of the
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 20, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              On 20 October 2011 10:49, mirmalag <mirco.malaguti@...> wrote:

              > Nice to meet you Roman and Mark,
              > I can't presently dig into deep detail.
              > What I know for sure is that we will use EntityBeans
              > wherever possible. The platform uses Jta for transaction control.
              > For the parts of the application that will require explicit SQL, I'm pretty
              > confident that current feature set doesn't pose big problems.
              > In fact the application is a rebuild of a current pure C/S one and the
              > current database design will be modified as little as possible.
              > I feel unsure about the parts of the new application that will be
              > implemented using platform components that will use the database
              > through standard protocols and methods.
              > I'm already in the process of building confidence with JavaEE 6,
              > a new beast for me, and interfacing the database is a delicate issue.
              > It seems that the standard choice is MySql, for this kind of project.
              > Fact is we have deep knowledge of Firebird and want to stay with it.
              > But I don't know directly of other experiences in using Firebird as a
              > JavaEE backend.
              >

              As a side note, I can tell you that I have built a medium-sized issue
              tracking system (a product my company sells) as MVC Java-Webapp, on top of
              the existing Firebird Database of our ERP/CRM-Solution,
              and I ran into no Jaybird-related issues. It runs smooth. I use Hibernate
              with Tomcat connection pooling btw.


              > We will build the trial environment soon, I hope, then be able to
              > come back with some result.
              >
              > Thank you,
              > Mirco
              >
              > --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, Mark Rotteveel <mark@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:48:00 +0200, Roman Rokytskyy <roman@...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Hi Mirco,
              > > >
              > > >> I'm requested to lead a JavaEE 6 project using JBoss AS 6 and
              > > >> Firebird as a backend. Are the drivers feature complete or are there
              > > >> unimplemented ones?
              > > >> My boss want to be sure about any bump on the road, so I'm asking
              > > >> here prior to set up a trial environment myself and any help is
              > > >> really
              > > >> appreciated.
              > > >> Contributing the project is a viable option to ensure to reach the
              > > >> project goal.
              > > >
              > > > Mark implemented JDBC 4.1 support (Java 7) and at the moment he is
              > > > working on the release notes. I do not expect any additional API
              > changes
              > >
              > > > before release. There is one open ticket JDBC-192, which has to be
              > > > closed before release, but that's it.
              > >
              > > I implemented all methods to satisfy the interfaces, but most of the new
              > > JDBC 4.1 features *will* throw SQLFeatureNotSupportedException; I however
              > > believe that most of the methods added in JDBC 4.1 are relatively
              > esoteric,
              > > but for Jaybird 2.3 I will implement some of them and other optional JDBC
              > > parts currently not supported.
              > >
              > > I hope to have a draft version of the release notes by next week, so we
              > > might also want to prepare a release candidate.
              > >
              > > > Re. whether driver is feature complete... There are features in
              > > > Firebird that are not fully supported by the driver (e.g. optimized
              > wire
              > >
              > > > protocol support), however they will not be part of the v2.2 release
              > > > anyway. So the task is rather to check whether everything you need is
              > > > there.
              > >
              > > Mirco, could you give a bit more detail about which features you think
              > you
              > > will absolutely need?
              > >
              > > Mark
              > >
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              >
              >
              >


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Mark Rotteveel
              ... If you say EntityBeans, I assume you mean EJB 3.0 type beans with JPA. If so, what JPA implementation are you going to use, EclipseLink or Hibernate? I
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 21, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                On 20-10-2011 10:49, mirmalag wrote:
                > Nice to meet you Roman and Mark,
                > I can't presently dig into deep detail.
                > What I know for sure is that we will use EntityBeans
                > wherever possible. The platform uses Jta for transaction control.

                If you say EntityBeans, I assume you mean EJB 3.0 type beans with JPA.
                If so, what JPA implementation are you going to use, EclipseLink or
                Hibernate? I know that the Dialect implementation for Firebird in
                Hibernate is missing some of the more advanced features, so you may need
                to create your own implementation of Dialect.

                JTA is supported by Jaybird, so you should be good there.

                > For the parts of the application that will require explicit SQL, I'm pretty confident that current feature set doesn't pose big problems.
                > In fact the application is a rebuild of a current pure C/S one and the current database design will be modified as little as possible.
                > I feel unsure about the parts of the new application that will be
                > implemented using platform components that will use the database
                > through standard protocols and methods.
                > I'm already in the process of building confidence with JavaEE 6,
                > a new beast for me, and interfacing the database is a delicate issue.
                > It seems that the standard choice is MySql, for this kind of project.

                It depends what your goals or your budget is. I know enough people who
                will avoid MySQL like the plague for its low quality in the past and its
                oddities; I have also worked at companies where Oracle and/or MS SQL
                Server (or other expensive DB) are dogmatically considered the only choice.

                > Fact is we have deep knowledge of Firebird and want to stay with it.
                > But I don't know directly of other experiences in using Firebird as a JavaEE backend.
                > We will build the trial environment soon, I hope, then be able to
                > come back with some result.

                You should be aware that the ConnectionPoolDataSource and XADataSource
                implementation in Jaybird 2.1.6 can sometimes behave incorrectly
                (closing connections early, pool unable to get more connections when it
                should be able to). This has been fixed in Jaybird 2.2 (see also
                JDBC-176 and related issues in the tracker).
                --
                Mark Rotteveel
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.