[Firebird-Java] Jaybird 2.2

  • Алексей Свистунов
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
      When will be issued Jaybird 2.2?

      Regards, Alexey Svistunov.

    • reg_hill_labs
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hi Mark,

        Sent the following message but it somehow got rejected by SPAMCOP.

        So here it is again in the list.
        --------------------------

        Hi Mark,

        This is re the Eclipse DTP plugins and Firebird as discussed on the Firebird Java Yahoo news group.

        Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

        I have included an example database's meta data at the bottom of this email (could not see how to attach in this email client).

        The steps to reproduce the problem are shown below:

        * Step 1: Go to Data Source Explorer in Eclipse (I am using Helios Mac 64 version, have also tested on Galileo Windows 32 bit version)
        * Step 2: Create a new Database Connection (I called it TestConnection)
        * Step 3: Select Firebird for connection type, and fill in the details (I have tested Jaybird version 2.2.0 and 2.1.6)
        * Step 4: Expand the newly created connection:
        * TestConnection -> testdb -> Schemas -> USER -> Tables -> TEST_TABLE -> Columns

        Result: You will see columns FIELD_1, FIELD_2, FIELD_3 and FIELD_4. You should also see FIELD_5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and FIELD_10, but it stops at FIELD_4 because FIELD_5 is a BLOB (well, that is why I think it stops).

        I hope it is a reasonably easy fix, thanks again for providing this functionality, definitely useful.

        Regards
        Colin
        ------------------------------
        CREATE DATABASE '/Path/To/Database/Test.fdb'
        USER 'SYSDBA' PASSWORD 'masterkey'
        PAGE_SIZE 16384
        DEFAULT CHARACTER SET NONE;

        CREATE TABLE TEST_TABLE (
        FIELD_1 INTEGER,
        FIELD_2 INTEGER,
        FIELD_3 VARCHAR(10),
        FIELD_4 VARCHAR(10),
        FIELD_5 BLOB SUB_TYPE 1 SEGMENT SIZE 80,
        FIELD_6 INTEGER,
        FIELD_7 INTEGER,
        FIELD_8 VARCHAR(10),
        FIELD_9 INTEGER,
        FIELD_10 INTEGER
        );

        --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "reg_hill_labs" <reg_hill_labs@...> wrote:

        > Sure, thanks Mark,
        >
        > I will create a simple DB and the steps and fire it through to your email today.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Colin
        >
        > --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rotteveel" <mark@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > A while ago I looked at using Eclipse DTP with Firebird.
        > > >
        > > > I have started looking again and found the latest plugins at
        > > > http://www.lawinegevaar.nl/firebird a big improvement from what I was
        > > > looking at in the past.
        > > >
        > > > The only issue I seem to have is that the plugin does not seem to list any
        > > > Blob fields, in fact, as soon as it comes across one, it seems to stop and
        > > > misses out reading the rest of the fields in the table.
        > > >
        > > > Does anyone know if this is a known problem (that is, it is not just me).
        > > > If so, are there any known workarounds, for example, different sub types
        > > > or anything I can do to get Blobs working in Eclipse? (I am running on a
        > > > Mac, using Helios, but have also tried in a couple of earlier versions.)
        > > >
        > > > The problem can be seen by expanding up any table in the Data Source
        > > > Explorer in Eclipse that has a blob field in it... it lists all fields up
        > > > to the first blob field, and none after.
        > > >
        > > > I also see this release was back in 2009, so am wondering if there have
        > > > been any updates since.
        > >
        > > No, I have not written any updates since 2009 (although I do think there
        > > are some minor changes in my local workspace). I have had little time
        > > because of study, work, and the new house I bought in 2009, so I haven't
        > > looked at the code in some time.
        > >
        > > I will see if I can reproduce this behavior and post a fix for this. I
        > > probably either missed this as I usually don't use blobs, or maybe I
        > > didn't even implement it yet.
        > >
        > > Could you provide a more detailed bug report. Specifically listing the
        > > steps that result in the error maybe an example database with content (you
        > > can mail it to mark@).
        > >
        > > Unfortunately I am still very busy with finishing my study and with my
        > > job, so I can't guarantee a timely fix, but as I have a day off this
        > > Thursday, I might find some time to at least look into it.
        > >
        > > Mark
        > > --
        > > Mark Rotteveel

      • Mark Rotteveel
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2011
          Could you mail the spamcop message and the original attachment to my
          other mailaddress: Avalanche1979@...?

          --
          Mark Rotteveel

          --
          Mark Rotteveel
        • Mark Rotteveel
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
            After some checking, it turns out I already fixed this issue somewhere
            last year, but never got around to release that version. I have released
            this fix (+ some other fixes) as version 1.0.2 on
            http://www.lawinegevaar.nl/firebird

            I did find another bug, but at this time I am unsure if it is 1) a
            general DTP bug, 2) a bug in my code, or 3) a bug in Jaybird.

            I did some checks having tables
            TEST_TABLE
            TEST_TABLE2
            TEST_TABLE3

            In this setup the columns of TEST_TABLE2 and TEST_TABLE3 are also listed
            with TEST_TABLE. When querying for columns, the _ is sent unescaped
            (potential bug) and thus interpreted as a single character wildcard, and
            for some reason the presence of any wildcard causes Jaybird to append a
            %... making it retrieve the columns for all three tables instead of just
            TEST_TABLE (other potential bug).

            --
            Mark Rotteveel
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
              > I did find another bug, but at this time I am unsure if it is 1) a
              > general DTP bug, 2) a bug in my code, or 3) a bug in Jaybird.
              >
              > I did some checks having tables
              > TEST_TABLE
              > TEST_TABLE2
              > TEST_TABLE3
              >
              > In this setup the columns of TEST_TABLE2 and TEST_TABLE3 are also listed
              > with TEST_TABLE. When querying for columns, the _ is sent unescaped
              > (potential bug) and thus interpreted as a single character wildcard, and
              > for some reason the presence of any wildcard causes Jaybird to append a
              > %... making it retrieve the columns for all three tables instead of just
              > TEST_TABLE (other potential bug).

              This is most likely bug in Jaybird. I will check whether it is fixed in
              HEAD.

              Roman
            • reg_hill_labs
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                I do recall seeing something similar many months ago, changing to a different version of the driver fixed the issue back then, but I can't recall version numbers.

                However, am pleased to report that the original DTP problem has been fixed by Mark's update.

                Thanks Mark!

                Regards
                Colin

                --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, Roman Rokytskyy <roman@...> wrote:

                > > I did find another bug, but at this time I am unsure if it is 1) a
                > > general DTP bug, 2) a bug in my code, or 3) a bug in Jaybird.
                > >
                > > I did some checks having tables
                > > TEST_TABLE
                > > TEST_TABLE2
                > > TEST_TABLE3
                > >
                > > In this setup the columns of TEST_TABLE2 and TEST_TABLE3 are also listed
                > > with TEST_TABLE. When querying for columns, the _ is sent unescaped
                > > (potential bug) and thus interpreted as a single character wildcard, and
                > > for some reason the presence of any wildcard causes Jaybird to append a
                > > %... making it retrieve the columns for all three tables instead of just
                > > TEST_TABLE (other potential bug).
                >
                > This is most likely bug in Jaybird. I will check whether it is fixed in
                > HEAD.
                >
                > Roman

              • Mark Rotteveel
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                  >> > I did find another bug, but at this time I am unsure if it is 1) a
                  >> > general DTP bug, 2) a bug in my code, or 3) a bug in Jaybird.
                  >> >
                  >> > I did some checks having tables
                  >> > TEST_TABLE
                  >> > TEST_TABLE2
                  >> > TEST_TABLE3
                  >> >
                  >> > In this setup the columns of TEST_TABLE2 and TEST_TABLE3 are also
                  >> listed
                  >> > with TEST_TABLE. When querying for columns, the _ is sent unescaped
                  >> > (potential bug) and thus interpreted as a single character wildcard,
                  >> and
                  >> > for some reason the presence of any wildcard causes Jaybird to append
                  >> > %... making it retrieve the columns for all three tables instead of
                  >> just
                  >> > TEST_TABLE (other potential bug).
                  >>
                  >> This is most likely bug in Jaybird. I will check whether it is fixed in
                  >> HEAD.

                  I checked, I believe it is fixed with JDBC-130. However I am wondering why
                  Jaybird is appending a '%' (and 31 spaces) to the pattern, where I think
                  it shouldn't do that.

                  --
                  Mark Rotteveel
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 2, 2011
                    > I checked, I believe it is fixed with JDBC-130. However I am wondering why
                    > Jaybird is appending a '%' (and 31 spaces) to the pattern, where I think
                    > it shouldn't do that.

                    AFAIK, issue is with Firebird's metadata tables - they are CHAR(31), not
                    VARCHAR(31) and when you use them in your requests, they will be padded
                    to 31-char length...

                    Roman
                  • Mark Rotteveel
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011
                      > AFAIK, issue is with Firebird's metadata tables - they are CHAR(31), not
                      > VARCHAR(31) and when you use them in your requests, they will be padded
                      > to 31-char length...

                      That shouldn't matter: if a VARCHAR is compared with a CHAR, the server
                      should treat both values as if they are CHAR and pad it the shortest value
                      to the length of the longest value before comparison.

                      I will check and propose a change if necessary. I also saw some other
                      processing in AbstractDatabaseMetadata that made me scratch my head but I
                      didn't have time to dive deeper.

                      --
                      Mark Rotteveel
                    • Lester Caine
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 3, 2011
                        reg_hill_labs wrote:
                        > A while ago I looked at using Eclipse DTP with Firebird.

                        OK - many moons ago I ran the Clay plug-in which gave me a very nice graphical
                        view of the structure of the database. The plug-in still works fine, but at the
                        price of a license to add the print functions it's a little irritating and I
                        can't justify the money.

                        SO - I have DTP running with the latest client, and this gives a crude view of
                        the data, but I can't do much with DTP? I can't see how to test SQL scripts.

                        I also have QuantumDB running and can test SQL scripts in that before
                        transferring them into my PHP framework to use.

                        What else can we actually do? Is there an alternative modelling tool we can use?
                        Actually is there anything that can replace flamerobin internally? I suspect
                        that as with the DVCS tools, I'm currently still better using external packages
                        until the internal plug-ins are more productive?

                        --
                        Lester Caine - G8HFL
                        -----------------------------
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 8, 2011
                          On 4-6-2011 0:01, Lester Caine wrote:
                          > SO - I have DTP running with the latest client, and this gives a crude view of
                          > the data, but I can't do much with DTP? I can't see how to test SQL scripts.

                          What do you mean with 'test SQL scripts'? You can execute scripts using
                          the 'SQL file' or 'SQL scrapbook' functionality. This also allows you to
                          save those 'scrapbooks' in your project. It also has as query builder
                          (which unfortunately does not work entirely OK for Firebird due to the
                          simulated schemas)

                          > What else can we actually do? Is there an alternative modelling tool we can use?

                          Not entirely sure, I believe there are some modelling tools that use DTP
                          indirectly.

                          Could you describe what (fundamental) functionality you are missing in DTP?

                          > Actually is there anything that can replace flamerobin internally? I suspect
                          > that as with the DVCS tools, I'm currently still better using external packages
                          > until the internal plug-ins are more productive?

                          --
                          Mark Rotteveel
                        • Fabiano
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 30, 2011
                            Hi, i need to compile and use Jaybird 2.2 (need "octetsAsBytes" property).

                            Do you think it is stable enough to production usage for a small project? No SP calls, no metadata queries and nothing except regular SQL queries. Is there some critical known bug?

                            Which branch/tag should i use?

                            Regards,

                            Fabiano
                          • Fabiano
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 30, 2011
                              I checked out the source code from here:

                              https://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/firebird/java-plugin/trunk

                              Is that right?

                              If i set "octetsAsBytes" property to "true", does it mean "varchar octets" fields will be stored internally as byte[] in the driver instead of String?

                              Is this the way to set this property?

                              "jdbc:firebirdsql:......&octetsAsBytes=true"

                              Regards,

                              Fabiano

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 30, 2011
                                > Do you think it is stable enough to production usage for a small project? No SP calls, no metadata queries and nothing except regular SQL queries. Is there some critical known bug?

                                Yes. All critical bugs are fixed. Mark is currently reworking the
                                pooling code, but if you use some 3-rd party pool, should work fine.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 30, 2011
                                  > I checked out the source code from here:
                                  >
                                  > https://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/firebird/java-plugin/trunk
                                  >
                                  > Is that right?

                                  No, you have to use CVS version. The SVN code is a fork for the Firebird
                                  3.0 support for Java Stored Procedures. Later we will merge Jaybird 2.2
                                  into SVN repository.

                                  > If i set "octetsAsBytes" property to "true", does it mean "varchar octets" fields will be stored internally as byte[] in the driver instead of String?
                                  >
                                  > Is this the way to set this property?
                                  >
                                  > "jdbc:firebirdsql:......&octetsAsBytes=true"

                                  Should be enough to simply &octetsAsBytes, but I need to check the
                                  sources first.

                                  Roman
                                • Mark Rotteveel
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 30, 2011
                                    On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:21:07 -0000, "Fabiano"
                                    <fabiano@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > I checked out the source code from here:
                                    >
                                    > https://firebird.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/firebird/java-plugin/trunk
                                    >
                                    > Is that right?

                                    No you need the client-java module in CVS. See
                                    http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=cvs&group_id=9028

                                    > If i set "octetsAsBytes" property to "true", does it mean "varchar
                                    octets"
                                    > fields will be stored internally as byte[] in the driver instead of
                                    String?

                                    > Is this the way to set this property?
                                    >
                                    > "jdbc:firebirdsql:......&octetsAsBytes=true"

                                    This reminds me that I probably have to do some additional work to support
                                    all properties in the new ConnectionPoolDataSource and XADataSource
                                    implementation, or at least need to double check this.

                                    Mark
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 31, 2011
                                      > This reminds me that I probably have to do some additional work to
                                      > support
                                      > all properties in the new ConnectionPoolDataSource and XADataSource
                                      > implementation, or at least need to double check this.

                                      I have implemented the nonStandardProperty setters in the old pool
                                      code. The idea was that to create getters/setters for each DPB property
                                      would be an overkill, so it accepted a text "property=value" and passed
                                      that text below to the driver level. The same code was used to parse the
                                      non-standard properties on the pool level and in JDBC url.

                                      If you have implemented that part, it should be enough.

                                      Roman
                                    • Fabiano
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 31, 2011
                                        Thanks!