JDBC driver for Firebird 2.5

  • shantanu_k06
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1 7:22 AM
      Hi,

      The latest version for Jaybird seems to be 2.1.6:
      http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/firebirdsql/jdbc/jaybird/

      I want to understand whether it supports Firebird 2.5; if not, then whether an updated JDBC driver is being planned for, and if any expected timeline exists for the same?

      Regards,
      Shantanu
    • Mark Rotteveel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1 10:06 AM
        On 1-1-2011 16:22, shantanu_k06 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > The latest version for Jaybird seems to be 2.1.6:
        > http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/firebirdsql/jdbc/jaybird/
        >
        > I want to understand whether it supports Firebird 2.5; if not, then whether an updated JDBC driver is being planned for, and if any expected timeline exists for the same?

        The Jaybird 2.1.6 driver will work to connect to Firebird 2.5.

        Mark

        --
        Mark Rotteveel
      • shantanu_k06
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1 12:18 PM
          --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, Mark Rotteveel <Avalanche1979@...> wrote:

          > On 1-1-2011 16:22, shantanu_k06 wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > The latest version for Jaybird seems to be 2.1.6:
          > > http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/firebirdsql/jdbc/jaybird/
          > >
          > > I want to understand whether it supports Firebird 2.5; if not, then whether an updated JDBC driver is being planned for, and if any expected timeline exists for the same?
          >
          > The Jaybird 2.1.6 driver will work to connect to Firebird 2.5.

          I have this curious issue connecting to FB 2.5 on 32-bit Windows 7 using the JDBC driver 2.1.6 (on Sun JDK 1.6.23) from Maven repo.

          The connection works when I use the following JDBC URL:
          jdbc:firebirdsql://localhost/D:/temp/bituf.gdb

          The connection fails when I use the one below:
          jdbc:firebirdsql:D:/temp/bituf.gdb
          The error I get is this:
          GDS Exception. 335544721. Unable to complete network request to host "D".

          What am I missing/doing wrong? Is it compulsory to provide host[:port] in the URL? The FAQ doesn't seem to say so:
          http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=jdbc&id=faq#6
          http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=jdbc&id=faq#20

          However in the entire FAQ there isn't a single example that doesn't provide the "host" information in the URL.

          Regards,
          Shantanu
        • Mark Rotteveel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1 1:00 PM
            On 1-1-2011 21:18, shantanu_k06 wrote:
            > I have this curious issue connecting to FB 2.5 on 32-bit Windows 7 using the JDBC driver 2.1.6 (on Sun JDK 1.6.23) from Maven repo.
            >
            > The connection works when I use the following JDBC URL:
            > jdbc:firebirdsql://localhost/D:/temp/bituf.gdb
            >
            > The connection fails when I use the one below:
            > jdbc:firebirdsql:D:/temp/bituf.gdb
            > The error I get is this:
            > GDS Exception. 335544721. Unable to complete network request to host "D".
            >
            > What am I missing/doing wrong? Is it compulsory to provide host[:port] in the URL? The FAQ doesn't seem to say so:
            > http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=jdbc&id=faq#6
            > http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=jdbc&id=faq#20

            AFAIK, contrary to what the FAQ states, you will need to include the
            hostname in the URL if you want to connect using the Type 4 driver (full
            java driver), which is the default if you use jdbc:firebirdsql with
            specifying the driver type.

            I believe that if you connect using the Type 2 driver (native or
            embedded) then you will not need to specify the hostname.

            If you really want to use the native driver, then you need to load the
            DLL into Java, and you can use jdbc:firebirdsql:native:(rest of the JDBC
            URL) or jdbc:firebirdsql:embedded:(rest of the JDBC URL)

            > However in the entire FAQ there isn't a single example that doesn't provide the "host" information in the URL.

            As far as I can see the FAQ is incorrect at this point as the Type 4
            driver is the default and does require a hostname.
            --
            Mark Rotteveel
          • shantanu_k06
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1 8:40 PM
              > AFAIK, contrary to what the FAQ states, you will need to include the
              > hostname in the URL if you want to connect using the Type 4 driver (full
              > java driver), which is the default if you use jdbc:firebirdsql with
              > specifying the driver type.
              >
              > I believe that if you connect using the Type 2 driver (native or
              > embedded) then you will not need to specify the hostname.
              >
              > If you really want to use the native driver, then you need to load the
              > DLL into Java, and you can use jdbc:firebirdsql:native:(rest of the JDBC
              > URL) or jdbc:firebirdsql:embedded:(rest of the JDBC URL)
              >
              > > However in the entire FAQ there isn't a single example that doesn't provide the "host" information in the URL.
              >
              > As far as I can see the FAQ is incorrect at this point as the Type 4
              > driver is the default and does require a hostname.

              Turns out I am using the Type-4 JDBC driver, which needs the host info. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain.

              Regards,
              Shantanu