Re: [IB-Java] Reconnect Parameter

  • Mark O'Donohue
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000

      Hi Edward,

      > Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:46:06 -0500
      > From: "Edward Flick" <eddy@...>
      >
      > Hi Mark,
      > After a connection has been idle for a certain amount of time Interbase
      > disconnects without InterClient being notified.

      I've added this to our bug list, I suspect that we'll discuss it when Torsten
      gets back.

      If you have any more you want to put in anyone can put them in at ,
      http://sourceforge.net/bugs/?group_id=9028 .

      Or send them here, and I'll put them in for you.

      Cheers

      Mark
    • Torsten Welches
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
        Hi Edward,

        I tried to reproduce the disconnects - no luck. I was able to have an
        idle connection for long periods of time (more than 9 hours) without
        getting disconnected.

        Here's what I did:

        static public void main (String args[]) {
        interbase.interclient.DataSource dataSource = new
        interbase.interclient.DataSource();
        dataSource.setDatabaseName("c:/program
        files/Borland/InterBase/examples/database/employee.gdb");
        java.sql.Connection c = null;
        try {
        c = dataSource.getConnection("sysdba","masterkey");
        } catch (java.sql.SQLException connectionFailure) {
        System.out.println("connection failed: " + connectionFailure);
        return;
        }
        int timeout = 1000; //let's start with one second
        while (true) { //forever until we hit an exception or kill the vm
        //first let's wait...
        try {
        Thread.sleep(timeout);
        System.out.println("connection was idle for " + timeout/1000
        + " seconds");
        } catch (Exception uhoh) {
        System.out.println("failed to wait?!: " + uhoh);
        return;
        }
        timeout *= 2; //next time we try it double the time;
        try {
        java.sql.Statement stmt = null;
        java.sql.ResultSet results = null;
        try {//do a dummy db access
        stmt = c.createStatement();
        results = stmt.executeQuery("Select count(*) from JOB");
        results.next();
        } finally {
        if (results != null) results.close();
        if (stmt != null) stmt.close();
        }
        } catch (java.sql.SQLException e) {
        System.out.println("sql exception: " + e.getMessage());
        if (c != null) {
        try { c.close(); } catch (java.sql.SQLException ignore) {}
        }
        return;
        }
        }
        }

        After "connection was idle for 32768 seconds" I gave up...

        Maybe it's platform dependant? I'm under NT, which OS do you use?

        Regards,
        Torsten