Camden run

  • hfd82@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2001
      I finally found the article(in the deep recesses of my briefcase where I only
      go once in a great while) I quoted from a couple of weeks ago on the Camden
      run:

      Harrisburg Patriot, November 19, 1924
      CAMDEN FIREMEN MAKE RCORD RUN
      Apparatus Answering Atlantic City's Call Speed Across State of New Jersey in
      43 Minutes.

      Atlantic City, Nov. 18--What is believed to be a speed record for fire
      apparatus while answering an alarm is said to have been made by four pieces
      of apparatu of the Camden fire department which were rushed here last night.

      The apparatus sent in response to a call for aid when flames were sweeping
      the Hotel Bothwell,m made the run across the state, fifty-nine miles, in
      forty-three minutes, it is claimed. State police cleared the way for th
      speeding firemen.

      Two persons met death in the fire, which destroyed two hotels and the land
      end of the Steel Pier.