On this day. . .November 1st
- 1887-Box 24 located at Sixth and Cumberland Streets was struck at 3:50 p.m. The fire was found to be in a chimney in a house owned by Mr. Fitzpatrick on Cowden Street near Broad (today’s location would be near the rear of the Harrisburg School District building on Sixth St.) Slight damage was incurred. The Paxton Engine No. 6’s two wheeled hose carriage skidded on smooth pavement at Third and Market Streets striking the curb and throwing the horse onto the Farmer’s Bank pavement. This rig was the only two wheeled horse drawn hose carriage that Harrisburg ever had. It was built locally by Boyer and Atticks, a large carriage building establishment in the city, in the early part of 1883. There is one photo of it in the archives and it appeared to be a rather large ungainly affair. The cost was $425. It had one large hose reel that would hold 1,000’ of 2-1/2” hose and would carry eight firemen. The rig was painted ultramarine blue, had gold stripes and an orange body lining. The rig was reported in bad condition in November, 1887, probably around the time of this incident and traded in on a new carriage the following year
- 1892-Box 41, located at the Philadelphia and Reading Depot at Eighth and Market, was struck for a working fire at the Daniel Bacon candy factory on Fifth Street above Market. Time of the alarm was 1.15 a.m. The third and fourth floors were completely gutted by fire with heavy water damage. Mr. Bacon’s entire stock was lost. Loss $6,000. Many complaints were echoed among the city firemen as to why the Mt. Vernon ladder truck (the only one in the city) was still out of service. . .since July.