On this day. . .August 1st
- Here's one for ya Ken. . .
1930-An old row of eight, two story frame houses set at Ninth and State Streets. The row was originally built in the early 1800’s and housed the lock tenders for the Pennsylvania Canal Co. It was known as “Cinder Row.” Since the building of the massive concrete Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Bridge in the late 1920’s the row sat vacant and semi-secluded, nearly underneath the big arches. Sometime after ten p.m. a fire of unknown origin but possibly suspicious, was started between the ceiling of the second floor and the roof of one of the houses. Box 192 and Cameron and State was “hooked” at 10:30 p.m. and the district companies worked hard to contain the damage to the lofts of three houses. Loss was about $800.
- 1993- At 0143 hrs. 130B S.25th St . Kline Village Shopping Center -. Hornung’s Tru-Value Hardware Store. Large two store brick 150 x 500’ commercial building. Hardware store on the first floor with offices on second. Heavy fire gutted the entire hardware store. Smoke and water damage to varying degrees to the remainder of the commercial occupants of the building. The building is(or was) non-combustible construction with a heavy metal deck and concrete floors and roof. Arson was listed as the cause, either in a dumpster to the rear or to the interior but it was never fully determined. Water supply proved to be a problem initially with Kline Village having a basic loop system and stretches of supply lines had to be brought in from at least 25th Street (over two blocks). 6325 feet of 5” eventually used plus varying master streams from step guns and tower trucks. 130B/130A-sustained heat, water, and smoke damage; 132-unknown; 134-had smoke, heat, water damage. Ventilation was a major problem. The metal deck roof became a formidable object and was trenched about 30’ using metal cutting saws and slice packs. The roof was also set afire by the slice packs. Loss-in excess of $1.5 million. Other business effected: House of Bargains, Family Dollar, Nassaux-Hemsley Engineering, Bureau of Consumer Protection(Pa), Harrisburg Inter-Group, Answer America , Scott and Sons, K-Shopping Center Assn. (owners of complex), Video and Pool , U.S. Postal substation. Fire under control at 0404. B Platoon, fifth alarm.
- 1801-Friendship Fire Company No. 1 was organized. This was the second fire company in the Borough of Harrisburg. The first was the Union formed in 1791. The company’s first rig was a small hand tub similar to the two small hand pumpers at the fire museum. The company was very active into the 1930’s but when their quarters were razed in 1937 and moved into the Paxton, activity began to decline. The city never replaced their 1921 Ahrens Fox 750 gallon piston pumper when it was junked in 1959. An offshoot of the company in latter years was the Friendship Club. The company never formally dissolved, it simply faded away. After the Friendship Club closed their doors sometime in the late 90’s, the fire museum was given what few artifacts and minute books remained.