On this day. . .April 1
- 1910-The weather was cool for an early Spring day. Up at the two story brick firehouse of the Goodwill Engine No. 7 at Sixth and Calder, several members and the paid drivers had the bay doors swung open and the house airing out from a long and severe winter. At 4:55 p.m. a rumbling was heard and the windows shook. Within a minute, the big electric striker in the bell tower began to toll on the big tower bell Box 24 at Sixth and Cumberland two blocks away. The drivers and members quickly hitched the horses and were out the door in less then another minute. They had no problem finding the cause of the alarm. A fire had started in the cleaning establishment of J. C. Hinkle at 1306-1/2 N. Sixth Street less then a block down Sixth from the Goodwill’s firehouse (at 1341 N. Sixth) The fire was caused by careless use of matches that ignited the floor and caused a gasoline tank in the rear of the cleaners to explode shaking the entire neighborhood. The fire roared out the back and within minutes the rear frame porches and balconies of 1304-06-06-1/2-08-10 N. Sixth St. as well as 1307 Wyeth Street were a mass of flames. The fire was well involved when the Goodwill lads braked hard in front of the buildings. Because of the compact, densely packed frame construction it was feared that entire block would become involved. From the outset heavy smoke and heat restricted and frustrated fire department operations and at 5:10 p.m. Fire Chief Charles Garverich sounded the 2-2-2 signal bringing out the all thirteen companies. It took several hours to finally get this job under control and darkened down. The following damage was noted: No. 1304-W. Levinson Confectionary store roof, upper story and rear badly damaged. No. 1306-J. S. Marshal, plumbing establishment, stable and warehouse in the rear were gutted and plumbing stock and equipment lost or badly damaged. No. 1306-1/2-J. C. Hinkle cleaning establishment’s rear portion badly damaged. No. 1308-R. W. Murray residence and general dairy product distributor roof badly fire damaged and interior sustaining much water damage. No. 1310-Apartment house: South side and rear badly scorched. No. 1307 Wyeth Ave. frame house of John Koenig badly gutted. Overall loss given as $8,500.