On this day. . .March 1st
1912-Newly appointed Fire Chief John C. Kindler and Assistant Fire Chief Charles A. Spicer assumed office on this day. They replaced Charles Garverich and Edward Halbert respectively who had served four year terms. Kindler was a Hope No. 2 man and served with distinction until his death on February 19,1921. He was the Chief responsible for the mass motorization of the Fire Bureau. Kindler had served as Assistant Chief from July, 1899 to December, 1900 and also from April, 1902 until October, 1905. Spicer was a member of he Washington Hose No. 4, never having served as a chief officer before and was replaced by a vote of council on March 1, 1914 by Edward Halbert also a Hope member. Both positions were made full time in 1893. Both men were very active in company and volunteer affairs.
- 1968-At 9:39 p.m. the city phones rang in the Reily firehouse on Fourth Street for Engine 7 and Ladder 3 to go to the large three story brick apartment building at the corner of Sixth and Kelker Streets for smoke on the third floor. At this time Harrisburg still ran the practice of sending only an engine and truck on a telephone call. If a fire was encountered the box would be transmitted. The rigs just got on the street when Box 21 at Sixth and Muench came in. As the first two companies arrived they found two women lying on the sidewalk along the Kelker Street side of the building. These two women jumped from a third floor window as fire roared through the upper floor of this large three story brick building at 1742-44 N. Sixth Street. The women were unable to use the exterior fire escapes along Kelker St. nor the interior stairs due to the rapidly moving fire. One was later listed in serious condition the other satisfactory in the hospital. A mother and two children who lived on the second floor were treated for minor injuries. The fire gutted four apartments on the third floor and burst through the roof. Fifteen persons were left homeless and the lower floors sustained water and smoke damage. Little damage resulted to the tavern on the first floor. After an investigation, the fire appeared to have been intentionally set in the third floor hallway. The general alarm was struck at 9:47. Overall loss to the building was listed at $13,024.
- 1874- 6:30 a.m. Locust Street between Second and Third. Residence of Dr. George Stine. Chimney fire, no damage incurred. The fire occurred just at church time and many people were walking to church. The firemen were openly criticized for running their apparatus on the sidewalks to avoid the muddy streets endangering the lives of the pedestrians!