Re: [FDHistory] Re: Coal Region Incidents

  • hfd82@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Mike or Mike, out of curiosity what was Minersville running at that time?  How many companies?  The Schuylkill Historical Fire Society has their old city service ladder truck, what's the year on that rig?  Any chance the steamer might have been fired up as a reserve?

      The state library did not have a Minersville paper on file for my perusal although I did get the Pottsville paper's article which I'll make sure you guys get a copy when I get to it.

    • mkitsock@ptd.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
        "Hfd82@..." <Hfd82@...> said:

        Minersville Fire Department for the 1940 conflagration on Sunbury Street in
        the business district was running five companies (as they do today). The
        companies are Mountaineers (org. 1864), Good Will (1867), Independent (1869),
        Rescue Hook & Ladder (1871), and New Minersville (on the hill) (1926). The
        alarm would have transmitted through the Gamewell System and Diaphone horns,
        both of which are still in use today. The Good Will would have had their 1936
        American LaFrance pumper on duty. The Rescue Hook & Ladder's American
        LaFrance City Service Truck did not arrive until 1941. I did not have time to
        research what other apparati saw action at that blaze. I will try to do
        additional research.

        Sincerely,

        Mike Kitsock