Malvern, PA

  • chiefhank
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hey, gang!!

      Okay all you PA buffs and F/Fs. I need your help!! I found this article in
      the April 15, 1931 issue of Fire Engineering magazine and would appreciate
      any additional info anyone might be able to supply me with, such as date,
      names, ages, details, etc.

      MALVERN, PA - Prior to April 15, 1931 - While speeding to a brush fire at
      about 50 miles per hour, a pumper struck a rut in the road while making a
      sharp turn at the bottom of a steep hill and overturned, killing five
      volunteer firefighters and injuring nine others. Most of the men aboard were
      thrown clear, but all were injured. Some of the less seriously injured men
      attempted to help those who were more seriously injured. The Paoli Fire
      Company, who was responding to the same fire, came upon the wreck and
      immediately sent someone to call for an ambulance. The father of one of the
      firefighters who was killed suffered a fatal heart attack when told of his
      son's death.

      Stay safe,
      Hank