Promotions. . .

  • hfd82@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2000
      Since this is my first post and possibly THEE first post to the list, I
      thought I'd give it a touch of present day history that was made in the HFD
      last week.

      Captain Dan Hartman was promoted to Battalion Chief on Monday June 19, 2000.

      This is the first time that anyone received three promotions within the fire
      dept.

      He was promoted to Lieutenant on July 11, 1988 and was the training officer
      for the Bureau. He then was promoted to Captain, October 15, 1990. He was
      moved to Acting BC at Station 1 A Platoon in March, 1993. When the Acting
      BC's positions were abolished he retained the Captain's slot on Tower
      2(Station 1) A Platoon.

      Dan has also been instrumental in the formation of the Technical Rescue Team
      for the HFD and eventually assumed the head position of PaTASKFORCE 1,
      Pennsylvania's Urban Search and Rescue Team.

      Kudos to Dan Hartman and congratulations!!!

      Dave Houseal
      HFD82
    • hfd82@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 26, 2000
        I mentioned in my last post about BC Hartman, that he made history being the
        first member to be promoted three times. I stand corrected. Hartman was the
        third, but the first to come from Lieutenant to Captain to BC. There were
        actually two others. The first was Charles "Chet" Henry. He was promoted to
        BC Feb. 2, 1965, then AC in charge of Training Sept 2, 1967, then Fire Chief
        on Jan. 14, 1972.

        Jim Elicker was the second. BC on Dec. 12, 1967, AC on Feb. 27, 1973, and
        Fire Chief Nov. 10, 1977.

        The position of Battalion Chief was established by ordinance of City Council
        on April 21, 1959. Before that we only had a Fire Chief and Assistant
        Chiefs. The positions of Captain and Lieutenant were negotiated into the
        1980 Basic Labor Agreement and after testing and forming a list the first 2
        Captains and 4 Lieutenants were promoted on October 31, 1980.

        Dave Houseal
        HFD82