Light in Winter Table again? Jan 23 & 24

  • origamifreak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
      I'm only available on Jan 23 this time, but I'd be willing to do it. And this time I can stay later for the concert(s) or whatever.

      This time I won't kill myself to man the table through feeding times, though. And I'm bringing water and protein bars to eat so I don't go all logey.

      Maybe we could request scissors and solid-colored paper and do kirigami snowflakes or something... That would be different. And fun / seasonal.

      Here's a link to what's on - we'd get free passes again:
      http://lightinwinter.com/festival-events

      Anyone else interested?

      anja

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
        I think I can make it this year. I'll see if i can stay with my daughter for a few days so the weather dosen't mess up my plans as happened last year.

        Robert Taylor

        > To: FingerLakesPaperfolders@yahoogroups.com
        > From: origamifreak@...
        > Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:14:41 +0000
        > Subject: [FLaP] Light in Winter Table again? Jan 23 & 24
        >
        > I'm only available on Jan 23 this time, but I'd be willing to do it. And this time I can stay later for the concert(s) or whatever.
        >
        > This time I won't kill myself to man the table through feeding times, though. And I'm bringing water and protein bars to eat so I don't go all logey.
        >
        > Maybe we could request scissors and solid-colored paper and do kirigami snowflakes or something... That would be different. And fun / seasonal.
        >
        > Here's a link to what's on - we'd get free passes again:
        > http://lightinwinter.com/festival-events
        >
        > Anyone else interested?
        >
        > anja

      • crazed spirals
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
          Cool, it would be great if you could come, Robert! If she wants to come
          along and help us out, you guys could both get volunteer passes and do Light
          in Winter together for the weekend - festivities actually start a few days
          before Saturday...

          I'm encouraging Maria to get us some 8x8 inch thin glassine-like sheets:
          http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/CategoryID/14420/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/29930/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2cUnitCost

          She said there's a quilting group doing snowflake quilts and I asked for
          more details, like whether they'll be out of paper and cut with scissors.

          We can also do tessellations with glassine. See these examples:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/melisande-origami/sets/72057594048293299

          anja

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
            That would be great. I'll see what I can do about getting another recruit. She knows a guy at Green Star that folds.

            Attached photo of some "stars" that I've folded includes a couple of snowflakes made with glassine paper for OUSA a few years ago.

            Robert

          • Tess Dunlap
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
              beautiful...looks complicated.

              ________________________________
              That would be great.  I'll see what I can do about getting another recruit.  She knows a guy at Green Star that folds.

              Attached photo of some "stars" that I've folded includes a couple of snowflakes made with glassine paper for OUSA a few years ago.

              Robert

              > To: FingerLakesPaperfolders@yahoogroups.com
              > From: origamifreak@...
              > Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:22:19 -0500
              > Subject: Re: [FLaP] Light in Winter Table again? Jan 23 & 24
              >
              > Cool, it would be great if you could come, Robert! If she wants to come
              > along and help us out, you guys could both get volunteer passes and do Light
              > in Winter together for the weekend - festivities actually start a few days
              > before Saturday...
              >
              > I'm encouraging Maria to get us some 8x8 inch thin glassine-like sheets:
              > http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/tabid/365/CategoryID/14420/List/1/Level/a/ProductID/29930/Default.aspx?SortField=UnitCost%2cUnitCost
              >
              > She said there's a quilting group doing snowflake quilts and I asked for
              > more details, like whether they'll be out of paper and cut with scissors.
              >
              > We can also do tessellations with glassine. See these examples:
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/melisande-origami/sets/72057594048293299
              >
              > anja
              >
              > On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Robert Taylor <taylorigami@...>wrote:
              >

              > > I think I can make it this year. I'll see if i can stay with my daughter
              > > for a few days so the weather dosen't mess up my plans as happened last
              > > year.
              > >
              > > Robert Taylor
              > >
              > > > To: FingerLakesPaperfolders@yahoogroups.com<FingerLakesPaperfolders%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > > From: origamifreak@... <origamifreak%40gmail.com>
              > > > Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:14:41 +0000
              > > > Subject: [FLaP] Light in Winter Table again? Jan 23 & 24
              > >

              > > > I'm only available on Jan 23 this time, but I'd be willing to do it. And
              > > this time I can stay later for the concert(s) or whatever.
              > > >
              > > > This time I won't kill myself to man the table through feeding times,
              > > though. And I'm bringing water and protein bars to eat so I don't go all
              > > logey.
              > > >
              > > > Maybe we could request scissors and solid-colored paper and do kirigami
              > > snowflakes or something... That would be different. And fun / seasonal.
              > > >
              > > > Here's a link to what's on - we'd get free passes again:
              > > > http://lightinwinter.com/festival-events
              > > >
              > > > Anyone else interested?
              > > >
              > > > anja

            • andi1235
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                I heard about this through the Cornell Games club, but I do some very amateur origami and I would love to participate in this. :) I didn't even know Ithaca had an origami club, but it sounds great! I must warn everyone, however, I really am basically a noob -- even though I've been doing origami for years I never really got very good, so whatever we do I may have to be taught first!

                -Andi :)

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                  I haven't done that one in a while but I remember it was made from a hexagon that was divided into equilateral triangles. Starts the same way as Fred Rohm's Star of David. If I remember correctly it was much easier. I'll review my diagram and practice a bit and let you know.

                  I haven't watched any of the origami snowflake videos on youtube yet. Here are a couple links that look interesting. I think there are others.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLKSrcN7HY

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m72m8L0xuA&feature=related

                  If there are other suggestions for models let me know and I'll practice those as well. I could do the color theory cube that I planned to bring last year if it would fit the theme. It's a 6 unit work so it takes a bit of time. If I do unit models I often prefold several in advance to save time. Then participants do 3 or 4 and then get to assemble 6. There's a simple water wheel unit but it requires 12 of those for optimum results. I've added some of those to my facebook photos.

                  Best,

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                    Hi Andi,

                    We'd love to have you!

                    Origami people are generally friendly so don't worry; we'll definitely show you whatever it is we'll be doing - and it can't be terribly complicated or we wouldn't be able to coach kids - and especially adults - through the steps! LOL

                    I'll set up a doodle calendar for everyone to put in the days / times they can come. Stay tuned...

                    anja

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 5, 2010
                      sounds wonderful, but I am from california...too far for me.