FW: origami color theory cube

  • Robert Taylor
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12 10:06 AM
      Hope these attachments are not to large. If so I can try to reduce them for anyone who has trouble with the size.
      rt Just wanted to say hello and pass on some additional photos of the modular cube that I had planned to bring the Light in Winter program . For those who may have missed my first post this text is mostly a repeat. I took some photos (attached) so you can get a better idea of what I�m writing about.

      I think it was done by David Shall and may be in his new book. If I get hold of a copy soon I�ll check it to confirm if this is so.
      Anyway, once I was able to figure it out (no diagrams just a photo) I then thought about playing with color. There are a lot of color combinations one can come up with. I decided to use the primary and secondary colors then worked complimentary triangular pair faces on each side and oriented those so that I got a primary color triangle (red, yellow, blue) on one side and a secondary triangle on the other. This happens when you orient the cube so that you see the shape outline as a hexagon. A nice surprise was the color spectrum sequence: violet, red, orange, yellow, green, & blue. It takes a bit of manipulation to work the color combinations and there are several variations in the rotation of the colors that will give the same resulting relationship. I thought they expressed the connection to art in science is a simple and elegant way.

      It's a rather easy 6 piece module: divide paper vertically and horizontally into thirds (9 squares) sandwiched like an N into 3 squares which will take on a birds eye view U shape. Then fold 2 outside squares diagonally into right triangles. The last two modules lock the cube together and are tricky at first but after a few models become fairly easy to assemble. I�ve included some photographs of a unit and the assembly step process that I use. The photo of the grouping of completed cubes show several assembly variations plus changes in color intensity and value using standard origami paper. If you have any questions on the assembly just contact me.
      Best regards,Robert Taylor

    • crabmary
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12 10:23 AM
        --- In FingerLakesPaperfolders@yahoogroups.com, Robert Taylor
        <taylorigami@...> wrote:

        > Hope these attachments are not to large. If so I can try to reduce
        them for anyone who has trouble with the size.
        > rt Just wanted to say hello and pass on some additional photos of
        the modular cube that I had planned to bring the Light in Winter
        program . For those who may have missed my first post this text is
        mostly a repeat. I took some photos (attached) so you can get a
        better idea of what I'm writing about.

        > I think it was done by David Shall and may be in his new book. If I
        get hold of a copy soon I'll check it to confirm if this is so.
        > Anyway, once I was able to figure it out (no diagrams just a photo)
        I then thought about playing with color. There are a lot of color
        combinations one can come up with. I decided to use the primary and
        secondary colors then worked complimentary triangular pair faces on
        each side and oriented those so that I got a primary color triangle
        (red, yellow, blue) on one side and a secondary triangle on the other.
        This happens when you orient the cube so that you see the shape
        outline as a hexagon. A nice surprise was the color spectrum
        sequence: violet, red, orange, yellow, green, & blue. It takes a bit
        of manipulation to work the color combinations and there are several
        variations in the rotation of the colors that will give the same
        resulting relationship. I thought they expressed the connection to
        art in science is a simple and elegant way.

        > It's a rather easy 6 piece module: divide paper vertically and
        horizontally into thirds (9 squares) sandwiched like an N into 3
        squares which will take on a birds eye view U shape. Then fold 2
        outside squares diagonally into right triangles. The last two
        modules lock the cube together and are tricky at first but after a few
        models become fairly easy to assemble. I've included some photographs
        of a unit and the assembly step process that I use. The photo of the
        grouping of completed cubes show several assembly variations plus
        changes in color intensity and value using standard origami paper.
        If you have any questions on the assembly just contact me.
        > Best regards,Robert Taylor

        How do I get this to open to the directions? Thanks !
      • Robert Taylor
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21 4:02 PM
          Sorry, I'll send you the photo attachments from my yahoo email (tomorrow at the latest) and maybe they'll get through. Hotmail has made some changes and I haven't taken the time to learn them yet.

          Robert

          > To: FingerLakesPaperfolders@yahoogroups.com
          > From: crabmary@...
          > Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 18:23:43 +0000
          > Subject: [FLaP] Re: FW: origami color theory cube
          >
          > --- In FingerLakesPaperfolders@yahoogroups.com, Robert Taylor
          > <taylorigami@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hope these attachments are not to large. If so I can try to reduce
          > them for anyone who has trouble with the size.
          > > rt Just wanted to say hello and pass on some additional photos of
          > the modular cube that I had planned to bring the Light in Winter
          > program . For those who may have missed my first post this text is
          > mostly a repeat. I took some photos (attached) so you can get a
          > better idea of what I'm writing about.
          > >

          > > I think it was done by David Shall and may be in his new book. If I
          > get hold of a copy soon I'll check it to confirm if this is so.
          > > Anyway, once I was able to figure it out (no diagrams just a photo)
          > I then thought about playing with color. There are a lot of color
          > combinations one can come up with. I decided to use the primary and
          > secondary colors then worked complimentary triangular pair faces on
          > each side and oriented those so that I got a primary color triangle
          > (red, yellow, blue) on one side and a secondary triangle on the other.
          > This happens when you orient the cube so that you see the shape
          > outline as a hexagon. A nice surprise was the color spectrum
          > sequence: violet, red, orange, yellow, green, & blue. It takes a bit
          > of manipulation to work the color combinations and there are several
          > variations in the rotation of the colors that will give the same
          > resulting relationship. I thought they expressed the connection to
          > art in science is a simple and elegant way.
          > >
          > > It's a rather easy 6 piece module: divide paper vertically and
          > horizontally into thirds (9 squares) sandwiched like an N into 3
          > squares which will take on a birds eye view U shape. Then fold 2
          > outside squares diagonally into right triangles. The last two
          > modules lock the cube together and are tricky at first but after a few
          > models become fairly easy to assemble. I've included some photographs
          > of a unit and the assembly step process that I use. The photo of the
          > grouping of completed cubes show several assembly variations plus
          > changes in color intensity and value using standard origami paper.
          > If you have any questions on the assembly just contact me.
          > > Best regards,Robert Taylor

          > How do I get this to open to the directions? Thanks !

        • Origami Freak
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 21 5:28 PM
            Feel free to post the attachments as files on the Yahoo group website,
            if you like!

            I think the email settings are to strip attachments from messages to
            prevent us accidentally sending each other viruses...

            anja

            <taylorigami@...> wrote:

            > Sorry, I'll send you the photo attachments from my yahoo email
            (tomorrow at the latest) and maybe they'll get through. Hotmail has
            made some changes and I haven't taken the time to learn them yet.
          • PHILLIP PURYER
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 22 1:47 PM
              No probs' mate, look forward to the pics.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22 1:50 PM
                Thanks Anja.
                I'm new to this type of thing, so I'll just 'dip my toe in' in the near future!!

                ________________________________

                <taylorigami@ ...> wrote:

                > Sorry, I'll send you the photo attachments from my yahoo email
                (tomorrow at the latest) and maybe they'll get through. Hotmail has
                made some changes and I haven't taken the time to learn them yet.

              • R. Taylor
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22 6:09 PM
                  I posted the "color theory cube" photos in 2 attachments on the FLaP
                  Yahoo group website today.

                  Robert Taylor
                • Robert Taylor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
                    If you log into the FLAP group through your yahoo groups link you should find the photos for the color theory cube there. Let me know if you have a problem finding them or in assembling the cube and I'll try to help.

                    Robert T.

                  • Laurel Callahan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
                      Thanks so much-  I will check it out