First Meeting

  • anja Spirals
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2000
      Howdy,

      I just created this group so paperfolders in Ithaca can stay in touch
      and arrange meetings more easily.

      Mike Kanarek will be in town this weekend, and it sounds like he,
      Eileen, and I will be trying to arrange a folding session. I'm in the
      process of trying to get permission to use the public library in
      Ithaca. I'll keep you posted on the results. At the very least we
      can meet at a coffee shop or at the tables in Triphammer Mall outside
      the icecream store.

      anja
    • Crazed Spirals
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 27, 2000
        The public library in Ithaca isn't an option. They
        say there's no lobby where we could sit and fold, and
        their only meeting room is off-limits. They
        recommended a couple of other places in downtown
        Ithaca, but all of them charge room-use fees and
        recommended asking churches.

        So, I vote for Plan B, which is to meet at the patio
        tables near the laundromat inside Triphammer Mall. We
        can get Windex and paper towels at the Rite-Aid
        next-door or at the A&P if the table is sticky. If we
        need to buy origami paper, we can choose from the
        supplies at Miller's or Jo Ann Fabrics, also at the
        mall. There's plenty of parking, it's on several bus
        routes, and if anyone needs to do laundry or grocery
        shopping, or use an ATM, or get food, it's all there.

        The mall is at the intersection of Triphammer Road and
        Route 13. There's a tall digital clock in the parking
        lot that tells the time and temperature, that says
        "Triphammer Mall."

        You can see a map and get directions here:
        http://www.MapsOnUs.com/bin/maps-maponly/usr=~39d2461e.63dc9.cc9.6/c=1/refsrc=SB.newsb/isredir=1/

        As for the day and time, how's Saturday from 10-12?

        anja

        =====
        Finger Lakes Paperfolders
        http://geocities.com/origamifreak

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • MEKanarek@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2000
          I just go to a library and take a table.
          they always welcome me.
          Mike
        • MEKanarek@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2000
            sounds good
            ill call when i get there Fri
            Mike
          • MEKanarek@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2000
              my reply keeps coming back
              sat sounds good
              ill call on fri
              Mike
            • anja Spirals
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 27, 2000
                --- In FingerLakesPaperfolders@egroups.com, MEKanarek@A... wrote:
                > I just go to a library and take a table.
                > they always welcome me.
                > Mike

                Really? I was afraid they wouldn't like us talking quietly about
                what we're doing; that's why I called ahead and asked. Well, anyway,
                let's stick with Triphammer for the first meeting, and then scout out
                other locations for future ones...

                I've heard the Cornell campus store has a fantastic selection of
                papers, so that would probably make a good field trip destination at
                some point!
                :-)

                Seeya Saturday,

                anja
              • Eileen Tan
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 28, 2000
                  Um, this place is indoors, right? Otherwise there'll be frozen fingers
                  and gusty winds. :)

                  I like the fact that there's all these shops nearby - it's easier to get
                  stuff if needed. There's quite a few places on Cornell to sit around and
                  fold, but it's hard to find food and other things especially over a
                  weekend. Willard Straight isn't a bad place though when the campus store
                  is open.

                  See you all saturday,
                  Eileen
                • MEKanarek@AOL.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 28, 2000
                    i tried to send a message yesterday and it kept coming back to me so this is
                    a test
                  • anja Spirals
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28, 2000
                      Yes, ma'am!

                      the tables are definitely inside! It looks like Triphammer used to be
                      outdoors and then they built a greenhouse around it (including a
                      roof). It's kind-of weird, but nice in an unusual sort of way. It's
                      a pretty laid-back place compared with the typical cookie-cutter
                      Galleria-type malls you usually see around.

                      anja
                      "no frozen fingers for me, thanx!" :-)

                      --- In FingerLakesPaperfolders@egroups.com, Eileen Tan <eileen@n...>
                      wrote:
                      > Um, this place is indoors, right? Otherwise there'll be frozen
                      fingers
                      > and gusty winds. :)
                      >
                      > I like the fact that there's all these shops nearby - it's easier to
                      get
                      > stuff if needed. There's quite a few places on Cornell to sit
                      around and
                      > fold, but it's hard to find food and other things especially over a
                      > weekend. Willard Straight isn't a bad place though when the campus
                      store
                      > is open.
                      >
                      > See you all saturday,
                      > Eileen
                    • Eileen Tan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 12, 2000
                        Hi all,

                        I've checked with the community centre people here in Hasbrouck, and
                        they're more than happy for us to hold a teaching session next month.
                        Anja has suggested Nov 18, it's the weekend before Thanksgiving.
                        Comments? Suggestions? I'll have to tell them by next week so that it
                        can fit into their November activity schedule.

                        Eileen