Fwd: Women In Hip Hop- Washington, DC

  • Vanessa Nisperos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2007
      Good stuff on the home front ~ love and miss you guys!.. ~vness

      From: "Soyo" <soyodj@...>
      To: <soyodj@...>
      Subject: Women In Hip Hop- Washington, DC
      Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 00:25:11 -0400

      Hello ladies,

      I would like to thank all the beautiful strong women that responded to this call.(some women I added) It has been an amazing response of women doing their thing! I feel like all this time that I know that I was in the know of Hip Hop, I didn’t know anything.

      Now to the reason this whole project started. I was named a Commissioner for the Sojourner Truth Project and I wanted to have as many women in Hip Hop to be part of this project.

      The Sojourner Truth Project was set up through the National Congress of Black Women (http://www.nationalcongressbw.org/). You can read all the info on the website and the letter attached gives you all the info also. Basically is commission to raise funds to have Sojourner’s statue put in the capitol. Also, attached is a poem inspired by Sojourner’s famous “Ain’t I a Woman” speech.

      So what I am organizing is a show to raise funds towards this cause. In addition to the show I was thinking of maybe setting up a meeting of the minds to really get our network of doers and keep positive energy flowing between us. I am finalizing the venue and the artists.  So Far I spoke to Mystic, Yo-Yo (to host), Wise Intelligent of the Poor Righteous Teachers, Mc Lyte, Rah Digga.  I partnered up with can a Sister Roc the Mic Festival http://bgirlmanifesto.com/ held in dc for 4 days.

      So that’s the basics for now as more things finalize I will pass it on the group.

      If anyone wants to sponsor or know of any sponsors I will have the proposal finished in a couple of days just let me know.

      Any projects anyone is working let me know I am willing to help out.

      Since this started with a great group of women I was thinking of maybe later in the year setting up a conference where we can set it off in DC!

      Thank you for everything and look forward to building with everyone. Please feel free to pass this on to anyone that might be interested.

      The name of the event is called “Women’s Truth” August 11th

      Much Respect!

      Soyo
      soyodj@...
      202-460-2522