The Virtue of Fastring

  • heba salah
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2003
      The Virtue of Fasting

      Fasting (the month of Ramadan) is one of the five pillars of Islam. Fasting (either the Fard in Ramadan or the Sunnah) has been proven to be very beneficial to body, mind and soul. Through refraining from eating, drinking and sexual intercourse, which are Hal�l (licit) lusts of human beings, has a great meaning that as long as one is able to control his licit lusts, one should then control and watch over committing acts of disobedience to gratify illicit lusts.

      Allah (Subh�nahu wa Ta'ala) has said in the holy Qur'an:

      � O you who believe, fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those preceding you, that you may learn self-restraint"

      Fasting begins from dawn till sunset, this (Subh�n Allah) shows us that as much as our sins appear to be so great and persisting to us like that sunshine, they will eventually set and fade away (only when we control them through Fasting). Our lusts could be huge and persisting at the beginning, but God with his mercifulness and guidance makes us able with true and constant faith to control these needs and to gratify them in a way that is Hal�l.

      Fasting clears the mind and helps meditate and reflect upon God's powers and blessings that we live with each moment in our lives. The more we go without the lower, basic psychological needs, the more we rise with spiritual enlightenment. Thus Fasting is a cure to suffering souls and to those who are searching for their true selves and their relationship to God. Moreover, fasting is obviously a very healthy lifestyle.

      Fasting Mondays and Thursdays as well as the three (white) days of each lunation is very beneficial to Muslims. It relates them to God aside from the month of Ramadan. It acts as the recharger of their spiritual powers and warm them up for worship in Ramadan. Besides, Fasting is the act of worship which no one but God knows its reward.

      Allah (Subh�nahu wa Ta'ala) said in the Holy Hadith:

      Fasting is Mine and it is I who gives reward for it. [A man] gives up his sexual passion, his food and his drink for my sake. The change in the breath of the mouth of him who fasts is better than the smell of musk in Allah�s estimation. Fasting is like a shield and he who fasts has two joys: a joy when he breaks his fast and a joy when he meets his Lord.

      It was related by al-Bukhari, also by Muslim, Malik, at-Tirmidhi, an-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah.

      Do you Yahoo!?