Young Cormo Lamb Fleeces

  • Cormo Sheep
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Cormo wool is very white, next to the skin soft and elastic. It makes
      wonderful yarn, yummy soft felt and blends well with other fibers. Twelve
      month fleeces will have 3.5 to over 5 inch staple length.

      Because these fleeces are from young lambs they are extremely soft and fine.
      They will have the lamb wool tips but have all be tested for soundness. They
      are small, 2.4 - 2.9 lbs. and $10 / lb so all are under $30. These are
      bargain fleeces because they are a little short, not professionally sheared
      and uncovered but still fairly clean.

      I randomly picked two of these fleeces and took them to my local guild
      meeting for some unbiased opinions from other spinners. One spinner took one
      for a Christmas present for herself and another wanted the other one but I
      said that the property taxes had to be paid first. I just got a report back
      from Jaci (this is not on the web page). She has Jacobs sheep, has spun
      Cormo roving but never started from a fleece. She is really happy with it
      but I'll try to remember everything she said. She didn't find the VM to be
      excessive. No problems washing it but was surprised at how much dirt came
      out in the water. She used mesh bags. Compared to Jacob she was surprised at
      how fluffy it is at all stages. She didn't like out it came out with her
      fine tooth drum carder but is really happy with what she got with hand
      cards. She feels that hand cards are actually faster and she can easily get
      out any VM or second cuts that are still there. She expects to have it all
      hand carded by our guild meeting tomorrow night.

      Read more about these fleeces and see photos on the web site HYPERLINK
      "http://www.cormo.us/08wool/YoungLamb.htm"http://www.cormo.us/08wool/YoungLa
      mb.htm

      Hope you have a Great 2009!

      Sue