Sisters

  • Laurie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      I know this is long but I must pass this on to all of you, I think it
      personifies what this group is all about.

      A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced tea
      and visiting with her Mother. As they talked about life, about
      marriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of
      adulthood, the
      mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and turned a clear,
      sober glance upon her daughter.

      "Don't forget your Sisters," she advised, swirling the tea leaves
      to the bottom of her glass.

      "They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you
      love your husband, no matter how much you love the children you may
      have, you are still going to need Sisters. Remember to go places with
      them now and then; do things with them. "Remember that 'Sisters 'means
      ALL the women...
      your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other women relatives
      too. "You'll need other women.
      Women always do."
      What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman thought. Haven't I
      just gotten married? Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a
      married woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely my husband and the
      family we may
      start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile!'

      But she listened to her Mother. She kept contact with her Sisters
      and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one
      after another, she gradually
      came to understand that her Mom really knew what she was talking
      about. As time and nature work
      their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, Sisters are the
      mainstays of her life.

      After more than 50 years of living in this world, here is what I've
      learned:

      THIS SAYS IT ALL:
      As Women we should support each other -
      says the wild bunch

      Time passes.

      Life happens.

      Distance separates.

      Children grow up.

      Jobs come and go.

      Love waxes and wanes.

      Men don't do what they're supposed to do.

      Hearts break.

      Parents die.

      Colleagues forget favors
      Career s end.

      BUT.........

      Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how many miles are
      between you.

      A girl friend is never farther away than needing her can reach.
      When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it
      by yourself, the women in your life will be on the valley's rim,
      cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your
      behalf, and waiting with
      open arms at the valley's end.
      Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you...Or
      come in and carry you out.

      Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters,
      sisters-in-law, Mothers, Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins,
      and extended family, all bless our life!
      The world wouldn't be the same without women, and neither would I.

      When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of
      the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much
      we would need each other. Every day, we need each other still.

      Pass this on to all the women who help make your life meaningful. I
      just did.

      Short and very sweet:
      There are more than twenty angels in this world. Ten are peacefully
      sleeping on clouds. Nine are playing. And one is reading her email
      at this moment.

      Thank you all for being who you are.