Upcoming LOAPC Whitewater Trips April 13 and May 25-27

  • rich_dog_one
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2013

      Huron River Whitewater - April 13, 2012

      Come out for some easy Class I-II whitewater on the Huron.  This trip will be great if you have river paddling skills and want to step up a little bit in difficulty, or if you have already tried whitewater and want to warm up for the paddling season.  We’ll paddle the Trestle, Zeeb, and Delhi rapids.  It’ll be a good preliminary to the Wisconsin trip on Memorial Day weekend.

      We’ll meet at Dexter-Huron Metropark near Dexter, MI at 11:00am.  We may drive from there upstream to Mill Creek in Dexter if water levels permit.  We’ll take out at Delhi Metropark.

      Because this trip is focused on practicing whitewater skills, participants are expected to have some river safety knowledge and to provide all of their own gear which includes but is not limited to: a whitewater boat with adequate flotation, life jacket, helmet, paddle, spray skirt for kayaks, and wet or dry suit.  The water will be cold and the air may be cold too, so cold temperature preparedness is essential.  A recreational kayak is not appropriate for this trip.

      Contact Todd Leigh - 517-333-9716 home, 517-712-9083 cell, toddleigh@... if you would like to join us, or if you have questions.

      Wisconsin Whitewater Memorial Day Weekend May 25-27

      P6050013.JPGLet’s go to Wolf River Country!  On Memorial Day Weekend (May 25-27) we’ll be leaving the Lansing Area on Friday in quest of whitewater, and returning on Monday night. This year we’re heading to Northern Wisconsin to paddle on the Wolf, Pike, Red, or Peshtigo rivers, depending on water levels.  These rivers are Class II-III whitewater, so you should have some whitewater skills and experience.

      Text Box: Oren Kennedy on 5-foot falls, Peshtigo River, WI

      Participants are expected to have river safety knowledge and to provide all of their own gear which includes but is not limited to: a whitewater boat with adequate flotation, life jacket, helmet, paddle, spray skirt for kayaks, and wet or dry suit.  The water will be cold and the air may be cold too, so cold temperature preparedness is essential.

      We’ll be staying at the Bear Paw Inn, where they have cabins and camping available.  Contact them to arrange your lodging (www.bearpawoutdoors.com).  Let them know that you are part of my group, and they’ll lodge us near each other.  We’ll be eating meals in camp; some dining out is also possible in the area.

      You must contact Todd Leigh (517-712-9083, toddleigh@...) if you wish to participate in this trip.

      Forwarded by:

      Jay Hanks

      always wear your Life Jacket when paddling