Re: [Fenton-area-paddlers] kayak class

  • willi
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
      Taking a kayak class will HELP people understand what they are buying,
      possibly prevent people from wasting big money on "stuff that just floats"
      and actually get them understanding how a kayak truly works.

      A very, very simple set of foam blocks and straps costs less than $20
      and will accommodate almost any car and length of kayak.
      The length issue quickly fades away, as transport takes less than 5 minutes.

      Example-
      http://coloradosprings.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/19-seattle-sports-rs-12-standard-kayak-carrier-kit-68033/11493451

      A slightly longer kayak will "glide" better allowing more efficient travel on lakes and flat water.
      The more surface area in contact with the water, the more friction, i.e. the more you have to overcome via actual paddling.

      http://www.examiner.com/article/kayak-stability-what-you-need-to-know

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
          Thank you for the info. Have a blessed Easter.
          Carol

          On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM, J Chiap wrote:

             I dont mean to interject...but Pelicans are usually pretty small...really only for kids...if you want versatility I would not go any less than a 12.5 foot, and follow the kayak reviews.  Kayak Corrall in Saline has excellent prices and many used ones...i bought my used Dagger Halifax 17.5 there for half the price of new...

          good luck