Re: [Fenton-area-paddlers] kayak class

  • mbarton524
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2013
      Hi Carol

      I'm 6'2" and weigh about 220#.
      Last year I got a Pungo 120 made by Wilderness Systems. This is a 12' kayak with a large cockpit making for easy entry and exit. I love this kayak for paddling on flat water lakes in the Fenton area.

      Hope this helps.

      Mark

      In a message dated 3/22/2013 9:35:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, strawberry2274@... writes:

       Hi Hope all is well with you. Are you looking forward to kayaking as much as the nice weather coming soon?
      I am looking on behalf of a friend to buy a kayak.  He is 6'4" and 240#. He is interested in a pelican or similiar type for flat water? How long or what length kayak would you suggest? Thanks for any info you might have.
      Looking forward to more fun with the group.
      Carol
      On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Maggie Yerman wrote:

         If  you are interested in doing some training in a pool EMU is having an  open house on April 21st. Kayak Coral is hosting this event. Check it  out on Facebook:

    • Aaron Vandyke

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 24, 2013
          Taking a kayak class will HELP people understand what they are buying,
          possibly prevent people from wasting big money on "stuff that just floats"
          and actually get them understanding how a kayak truly works.

          A very, very simple set of foam blocks and straps costs less than $20
          and will accommodate almost any car and length of kayak.
          The length issue quickly fades away, as transport takes less than 5 minutes.

          Example-
          http://coloradosprings.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/19-seattle-sports-rs-12-standard-kayak-carrier-kit-68033/11493451

          A slightly longer kayak will "glide" better allowing more efficient travel on lakes and flat water.
          The more surface area in contact with the water, the more friction, i.e. the more you have to overcome via actual paddling.

          http://www.examiner.com/article/kayak-stability-what-you-need-to-know

        • strawberry2274@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 25, 2013
              Thank you for the info. Have a blessed Easter.
              Carol

              On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM, J Chiap wrote:

                 I dont mean to interject...but Pelicans are usually pretty small...really only for kids...if you want versatility I would not go any less than a 12.5 foot, and follow the kayak reviews.  Kayak Corrall in Saline has excellent prices and many used ones...i bought my used Dagger Halifax 17.5 there for half the price of new...

              good luck