Fw: Sunday's river cleanup results

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 22, 2012

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Chuck Julian <chuck.julian@...>
      Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 7:11 AM
      Subject: river cleanup

      Rex Mathewson, Dennis Terry, Sue Julian and I worked on cleaning the Shiawassee Sunday.  The report that we had said that there was a tree down near the Waste Water Treatment Plant in Holly.  Sue met with Brian of the Waste Water Treatment Plant who allowed us to put in at the plant.  There was a tree just above the site, so we cleared that from the river.  This tree at the Waste Water Treatment Plant was easier to clean than we expected. We then chased one of our logs that had gotten away, down to just before the Academy foot bridge, anchoring it in the wetland.  Rather than take out there, we went to Fish lake road, clearing some new falls and trimming low hanging branches.  Having started at 10:00, we got out of the river at around 1:00.  At that point, I went home.  Sue was traveling in a different car and stopped at Waterworks Park where a woman with a kayak was.  This woman told Sue that she had just gotten out of the river.  She put in at Water Works Park, ran into trees blocking the river and came back.  According to the woman, it is two trees that have fallen across each other.  As far as she was concerned, it was not passable.  These are past Le Grand and before Academy Road. Apparently, I didn't understand the posting regarding the problem and thought that it was just the one tree blockage and not two blockages.  We should have started at Waterworks and gone down and not put in at the Waste Water Treatment Plant, so our goal of getting the river open was not achieved.

      By the time I found out about the problem, Dennis and Rex had already gone home.  I was not inclined to go out with Sue and try to clear this problem with just the two of us.  If anyone is looking for a project to do, this one is available.

      With all the rain we have had recently, the river is up quite a bit.  We got past the wide section of the river past the Academy foot bridge without having to get out and push, in a rowboat loaded with equipment.  As we passed the foot bridge, Ryan and others from the Holly Outdoor Coalition were busy weed whipping and spreading wood chips on the trail.

      -- Chuck Julian