Getting closer to free passage on the Shiawassee.

  • Douglas Lanyk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2008
      A big thank you goes out to all the volunteers who helped cleaning out
      the river in Fenton. Debbie (our organizer), Tom, Dave, Willi, Sharon,
      Pete, Jimmy, Sara, Andy, Maggie (our car spotter) and I got wet and had
      fun. At 6:00 we started in Bush park in Fenton and went up stream to
      Silver Lake Road. There were 3 major log jams and several smaller
      blockages to remove as well as a couple of bags of garbage, plus a
      chair, a bike, a municipal garbage can... Working near the park had
      it's advantages. We just had to bag the garbage and put it up on the
      bank in the park. The city of Fenton will pick the garbage up. By 8:30
      we had made it back to our starting point. Several people had to head
      home at this point. 5 of us continued on down stream to our trucks
      about half way to us 23. This portion had a cleanup a month ago. We
      still found a bag of garbage and a few trees to trim back. The river is
      surprisingly scenic for being in the city. There are only a few lawns
      in view considering we are in the heart of the city. Aside from the
      seasonably low water this will be a fun segment. There is a fairly
      brisk current moving you along. It was 9:30 by then and time to call it
      a day. Now the bad news. There is more work to be done. As near as I
      can figure we have 8 more blockages to clear on the way to Lake
      Ponemah. One of which is fairly substantial. The date picked to finish
      this off is Sunday August 3rd. More details to follow. Once again
      thanks for your support. We are within striking distance of having a 20
      mile stretch of scenic river in paddling shape.

      Doug.