New to the group and to Kayaking

  • littlegreenbike
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
      Hello group, I'm new here and just thought I'd introduce myself if that's alright..

      I live near Hartland and have never truly kayaked before.  Strange as it is, I recently completed building a 17' cedar strip kayak.  It's only been in the water once so far at Maltby Lake in Brighton for a short test float.  It went very well!!

      Being new to the whole kayaking scene I'm not at all familiar with good waters in the area?  Being a 17' sea kayak would I have trouble in some of the rivers I see mentioned here... Shiawasse?
      Any suggestions would be swell :)

      I'm looking forward to exploring the local lakes and rivers, meeting like minded folks, as well as hopefully learning the skills and techniques of the sport.

      Thank you for letting me join your group!
      Andy

      P.S.  If anyone is interested in my kayak build, I've documented it fairly well here:   Facebook Build Log
      That is a direct link to my public Facebook album, you don't have to be my "friend" or even a Facebook user to view the photos..
    • willi
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
        Winter is coming, water getting cold,  kayak training continues in local pools near Brighton

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
          Thanks Willi.
          I was actually just looking at Expanding Horizon's website! Doesn't look like they've updated the class schedules since last year? Guess and e-mail is in order!

          And yes... I noticed the upside down paddle after looking at the pictures :/ Just to excited/nervous to finally test out 2 years of building effort (nerve wracking) to pay attention I guess... Honestly at that time I was just to happy that it floats!

          --- In Fenton-area-paddlers@yahoogroups.com, willi <willi_h2o@...> wrote:

          > Winter is coming, water getting cold,  kayak training continues in local pools near Brighton
          >

          > http://www.blackparrotpaddling.com/michigan.html
          >
          > http://www.expandinghorizonskayaking.com/

        • bulldogg629
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2012
            Amazing work on the boat. I would worry more about the finish on that boat than its length in the Shiawasse. I felt bad gouging up mine and its just a cheap plastic one. I've run over a few rocks too that seem like they would have cracked a fiberglass or wood hull that cant flex inward. Of course your boat is 20 pounds lighter than mine and spreads your weight over more area as well so water level might not be the bane for you that it usually is for me.