Fwd: The Biggest Weekend of the Summer Starts Friday!

  • WITEWTR58@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 4:36 PM
      FYI

      Jay Hanks

      ...........O
      ......(___|/____)
      .........../

      Always wear your PFD

      From: Mid_MEAC@...
      To: jayhanks@...
      Sent: 5/30/2012 11:33:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
      Subj: The Biggest Weekend of the Summer Starts Friday!

      http://cts.vresp.com/fbl?efdf47c26b/a1276c90f9/http://hosted-p0.vresp.com/653130/efdf47c26b/ARCHIVE#likehttp://cts.vresp.com/ts?efdf47c26b/a1276c90f9/http://api.addthis.com/oexchange/0.8/forward/twitter/offer?template=%7B%7Btitle%7D%7D+%7B%7Burl%7D%7D&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhosted-p0.vresp.com%2F653130%2Fefdf47c26b%2FARCHIVE&shortener=bitly&title=The+Biggest+Weekend+of+the+Summer+Starts+Friday%21http://cts.vresp.com/ls?efdf47c26b/a1276c90f9/http://api.addthis.com/oexchange/0.8/forward/linkedin/offer?template=%7B%7Btitle%7D%7D+%7B%7Burl%7D%7D&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhosted-p0.vresp.com%2F653130%2Fefdf47c26b%2FARCHIVE&shortener=bitly&title=The+Biggest+Weekend+of+the+Summer+Starts+Friday%21

      Click to view this email in a browser

      tl.gift.giftr.gif
      l.gif

      logo 1

      June 2012 Events

      Dear Mid-MEAC Friends,

      June is just around the corner and the schedule for the month is, to say the least, PACKED with with great community activities and volunteer opportunities. Whether you are passionate about clean water, active transportation or good public policy, we know that you''ll find something here this month to turn your environmental concern into action. So here''s our challenge to you...

      DO ONE GREEN THING

      Pick one thing from the many options below (or two or three) and make a commitment to our region. Tell us about it on Facebook, Twitter or send us an email. Your stories matter and we''ll share those stories in upcoming newsletters, on our website or on our Facebook page.

      Thanks!

      The Mid-MEAC Team

      CCO Complete logo
      June Land Use Lunch
      Multi-Modal Transit & CATA Ride & Tour
      Friday, June 1, 2012
      12pm - 1pm
      Central United Methodist Church
      215 N. Capitol, Lansing, MI

      Please join Mid-MEAC for our June Land Use Lunch where we''ll talk about multi-modal transit users, Mid-MEAC''s Smart Commute Challenge (starting June 10, 2012) and take a Smart Commute field trip courtesy of CATA Clean Commute. You''ll hear from Julie Powers, Mid-MEAC''s Executive Director about the region''s multi-modal transit use and from Power of We AmeriCorps member Nikki Ayres on how to use various forms of transit in the tri-county region. At approximately 12:30pm, we''ll walk a few blocks to Lansing Community College and take a ride on CATA, finishing our lunch at the CTC with a brief presentation by CATA''s Clean Commute Coordinator Ashley Hale. (The CATA Ride and Tour is sponsored by CATA Clean Commute and is free of charge.)

      If you would like to join us for the CATA Ride and Tour, please RSVP no later than Wednesday, May 30, 2012.

      No RSVP is necessary to attend the Land Use Lunch. This month, we''re holding our Land Use Lunch at Central United Methodist Church (215 N. Capitol Avenue) in Downtown Lansing and will provide a light buffet lunch for $5.  We encourage you to walk, bike or use public transit to get to Land Use Lunch!

      VSM2012
      Spring 2012 Stream Monitoring
      Saturday, June 2, 2012
      8am-  12pm
      Biggie Munn Park
      Lansing, MI

      We need your help! We''re collecting macroinvertebrates in the Red Cedar Watershed this weekend and we need lots of volunteers to join us to check our sites. Our Volunteer Stream Monitoring program is a great way to transform environmental concern into action--or just have a great time on a Saturday morning in the beautiful Red Cedar watershed.  All volunteers are welcome and no experience is necessary.  We''ll meet at Biggie Munn park at 8:00 am for a brief welcome and training demonstration.  Then we''ll disperse teams to half a dozen sites along the Red Cedar and its tributaries to collect samples of the macroinvertebrate life which serves as a bio-indicator of the river''s overall health.

      Volunteer Stream Monitoring is an ongoing activity.  June 2 kicks off our 2012 season which includes more collection opportunities as well as a "Bug ID" day and habitat assessment.  This year we are also pleased to increase our collaborative efforts, working closely with a number of partners to facilitate macroinvertebrate sampling in the Middle Grand River watershed.  The data from the June 2 field day will be uploaded to a state-wide database and used by conservation organizations and environmental quality departments to continue the overall monitoring of watershed health.  Last year''s numbers indicated a potentially significant development at one of our sampling sites--we look forward to another fun round of collecting data to contribute to relevant research.

      For more info or to sign up, you can RSVP via Facebook OR send an email to Gabriel Biber, our new Volunteer Stream Monitoring Coordinator at gjbiber@.... You are also welcome to call the office at (517) 292-3078.

      tri-logo
      Hawk Island Triathlon:
      Volunteers Needed

      Sunday, June 3rd, 2012

      Hawk Island County Park, South Lansing, MI

      Mid-MEAC is excited to help out with the 6th Annual Hawk Island Triathlon and we need your help! 800 of the toughest competitors will be swimming
      400m, biking 16k and running 5k through Lansing and Michigan State''s campus. Volunteers are especially needed on the Bicycle Course and since our members are major bicycle fans, we thought we''d ask YOU to help make this event a big success. Sign up here! Shifts are available on Saturday (set-up crew) and Sunday (from 5:30am - 4pm) and tasks range from volunteer check-in to setting up the bicycle corral to lifeguarding. See you at the Tri!

      Spoon Bike Rack
      Lansing City Council
      Bicycle Parking
      &
      Snow Removal Ordinances Public Hearing
      Monday, June 4, 2012
      Lansing City Hall, 10th Floor
      Meet Up:  5:30pm at Troppo
      Special Session:  6:30pm
      Regular Council Meeting:  7:00pm

      Attention walkers, bicyclists and sidewalk users! We need you to help us explain the importance of walkable, bikeable communities to the Lansing City Council on Monday, June 4, 2012. The Bicycle Parking Ordinance will be discussed at a Special Session starting at 6:30pm and the Snow & Ice Removal Ordinance will be addressed during the regular Council meeting starting at 7pm.

      Meet Up
      We''ll meet up in the bar at Troppo at 5:30pm and then walk/ride to City Hall for the 6:30pm Special Session. PLEASE BRING YOUR BICYCLE HELMET!

      Bicycle Parking Ordinance
      The ordinance promotes bicycle transportation by providing standards and incentives for increasing the availability of bicycle parking. Developed at the request of the Lansing City Council under the leadership of Council President Jeffries, this ordinance has already received the unanimous support of the Lansing Planning Board and City Council. This Public Hearing is an opportunity for the new City Council to again hear about the importance of this ordinance and for the public to share thoughts on bicycle parking in Lansing.

      Snow & Ice Removal Ordinance
      Nearly two years ago, supporters of safe, walkable/bikeable communities worked with Lansing City Council to pass a Snow & Ice Removal Ordinance that requires property owners to remove snow and ice from their sidewalks within 24 hours of a snowfall. The ordinance has a two year sunset provision and Council will likely vote on extending the ordinance for another period of time with some administrative edits.

      SC2012banner72dpi 2
      2012 Smart Commute Challenge
      June 10 - 23, 2012

      It''s time for the 2012 Smart Commute Challenge! Teams are already signing up online so get your place of work, faith community, social group or team together for a fun-filled Challenge that starts on June 10. Track your "smart commutes" online using our simple tracking program, download the paper version of the tracking sheet or just jot it down on scrap paper and let us know how many "smart commutes" you''ve made. Every trip you make improves your health, saves you money and keeps our community a little bit greener by reducing your carbon footprint.

      Smart commuters can:
      • Walk
      • Bike
      • Use public transit
      • Ride share (car, van, truck)
      • Take the train
      • Use a "green" cab
      • Telecommute
      • Paddle
      • or any other mode of transit that''s not one driver/one vehicle
      Sign up today and you''ll be making tri-county history as the biggest and best Smart Commute Challenge ever!

      Lansing Walkability Audit
      Volunteers Needed
      We''re kicking off the 3rd year of the Lansing Walkability Audit and we need volunteers! You can walk with a group or take a section of the City and complete it on your own. We''re also happy to schedule group outings for community organizations, corporate team building activities and community service projects. Our 2012 schedule is:

      Tuesdays, 5:30pm - 8pm (starting May 8, 2012)
      South Lansing Community Development Association
      inside Grace United Methodist Church
      1900 Boston Boulevard
      Lansing, MI  48910
      5:30pm Training Session
      6pm - 8pm Group Walk

      Wednesdays, 3pm - 5pm (starting May 23, 2012)
      Allen Neighborhood Center
      Farmers Market
      1619 East Kalamazoo Street
      Lansing, MI  48912
      3pm Training Session
      3:30pm - 5pm Group Walk

      Thursdays, 5:30pm - 8pm (starting June 7, 2012)
      Gier Community Center
      2400 Hall Street
      Lansing, MI  48906
      5:30pm Training Session
      6pm - 8pm Group Walk

      To volunteer or for more information, please contact Nikki Ayres at nikkia.midmeac@... or call the office at (517) 292-3078. See you this summer!

      Summer 2012
      Valet Bicycle Parking Calendar

      Mid-MEAC, in partnership with several community organizations, is pleased to provide Valet Bicycle Parking at local festivals and events throughout the warm weather months. Below is the current calendar of events at which Valet Bicycle Parking will be provided and/or facilitated.

      2012 Mid-MEAC Valet Bicycle Parking Calendar
      May 19 & 20        East Lansing Art Festival
      May 23               Lucinda Means Bicycle Advocacy Day
      June 9                World Day at Hunter Park
      June 7                Downtown Okemos Celebration
      June 22              Festival of the Moon
      June 23              Festival of the Sun, Scrapfest & Scrappy Bike Racks
      August 10-12      Great Lakes Folk Festival
      August 18           Habitat Bike to Build/Dewitt Ox Roast
      September 1 & 2  Capital City Dragon Boat Race
      October 5 & 6      Old Town Oktoberfest

      Would you like to have Valet Bicycle Parking at your festival or event?
      To arrange Valet Bicycle Parking for your festival or event, please review the following criteria and then contact Julie Powers at (517) 292-3078 or via email at jpowers155@....
      • Organizer provides 30+ days advance notice
      • Festival/event provides flat surface, snow fencing and signage
      • Festival/event publicizes Valet Bicycle Parking on website, posters, media
      • Festival/event provides minimum of 2 designated volunteers per shift to staff Valet Bicycle Parking
      • Festival/event provides overnight security (if appropriate)
      • Festival/event carries sufficient insurance and names Mid-MEAC and Valet Bicycle Parking in a rider (documentation required)
      • Mid-MEAC (and partners) will transport gear to site, supervise set-up, tear-down and train all volunteers on proper Valet Bicycle Parking protocol
      • Mid-MEAC (and partners) will recruit volunteers for Valet Bicycle Parking and publicize festival/event through social and traditional media, on website and during community presentations
      On a very limited basis, we can lend out the Valet Bicycle Parking gear for events where we don''t have sufficient notice to schedule staff/volunteers or on a case-by-case basis. Please call the office for more information.

      Mid-MEAC Green Calendar

      June 2012

      Stay Connected
      Follow Mid-MEAC on Twitter and Facebook.  We post regular updates about breaking news and community events.  Make sure you stay in touch with Mid-MEAC online and in person!
      Please Donate Now!
      Mid-MEAC needs your financial support.  Please donate today and make a difference in your community by supporting environmental education, volunteer stream monitoring and advocacy.  Thank you for your support!
      r.gif
      bl.gifb.gifbr.gif

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      Mid-MEAC
      405 Grove Street
      East Lansing, Michigan 48823
      US