- Forwarded by: Jay Hanks ............O ......(___|||/____) ............./ always wear your PFD ____________________________________ From:Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012View SourceForwarded by:Jay Hanks
always wear your PFD
Sent: 4/30/2012 9:42:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: Summer kayak classes on Lake Lansing
Learn paddling basics and more – discover kayaking at these fun, information-packed workshops at the MSU Sailing Center on Lake Lansing. You will learn:
• All about types of kayaks, equipment , appropriate clothing, and safety gear
• Launching, landing, and transporting kayaks
• How to efficiently maneuver a kayak in lakes and quiet rivers
• Common hazards faced by kayakers and how to avoid them
• What to do in case of a capsize: safety and rescue skills on the water
Each class is a 3 ½ hour one-session workshop, including dry land topics and lots of on-the-water paddling. All equipment provided: the latest new demo kayaks from Summit Sports, paddles, and life jackets.
Beginner sessions: for those with little or no experience, or who have never had any formal instruction.
Women’s Clinic: a uniquely supportive and fun special session taught by and for women.
Advanced Strokes: for those who have taken the beginner session or other formal instruction and want to improve their technique, and learn more advanced strokes and maneuvers.
Recovery and Rescues: for students with some experience with basic strokes who want to work on recovery skills (balance, edging, and braces), and learn assisted and solo deepwater rescues. Plan on getting wet!
Wednesday, May 23, 5:00 – 8:30 pm: Beginner session
Wednesday, May 30, 5:00 – 8:30 pm: Beginner session
Saturday, June 9, 3:00 – 6:30 pm: Beginner session
Wednesday, June 13, 5:30 – 9:00 pm: Beginner session
Saturday, June 16, 3:00 – 6:30 pm: Women’s Clinic
Wednesday, June 27, 5:30 – 9:00 pm: Advanced Strokes
Wednesday, July 11, 5:30 – 9:00 pm: Beginner session
Wednesday, July 25, 5:30 – 9:00 pm: Recovery and Rescues
Wednesday, August 1, 5:30 – 9:00 pm: Beginner session
Wednesday, August 22, 5:00 – 8:30 pm: Recovery and Rescues
COST: $50 per one-evening 3 ½ hour session.
Class location: MSU Sailing Center, on Lake Lansing in Haslett
Students should bring: water shoes, a windproof jacket or raincoat, and a synthetic shirt for warmth - not cotton. Be prepared to get wet! Also recommended: sun hat and/or sunglasses, eyeglass retainers if needed, and water.