Fw: River cleanup March 25, 2011 10am

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2012

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Chuck Julian <chuck.julian@...>
      Sent: Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:10 AM
      Subject: River cleanup March 25, 2011 10am

      Please note that in my earlier email I said we would meet at 9am.  We will meet at 10am instead on Sunday at Waterworks Park.

      Headwaters Trails will be having a cleanup of the Shiawassee River on Sunday March 25, 2011.  We will meet in Holly at Waterworks Park, 690 Broad Street, Holly, MI at 10:00 am and plan to go till 4 pm or whenever we decide that we have had enough.   It is my understanding that the wind storm we had a few weeks back dropped a lot of dead ash trees in the river.

      With the beautiful weather we have had this week and last, a lot of people are itching to get out on the river kayaking.  We need to clean it up to make that possible.  We need to be getting ready for the canoe race in June as well.

      Please join us if you are able to.  We need people with chain saws as well as boats to transport those saws and other supplies on the river.  You are still welcome and encouraged to come along even if you have neither.  Mostly we will be walking the river with the boats to haul tools.  Once the trees are cut, they need to be anchored along the banks to provide shore protection and fish habitat.  We will also pick up any trash we are able to.

      Wear shoes or boots that you don't mind getting wet.  A hat, gloves and safety glasses are also a good idea.

      Currently, the forecast is for partly sunny and 61, so dress warmly.  Although I am not a big fan of waders, you may want to bring them if you have them.  I have some pairs but they have been used on enough river cleanups that they leak.  They will still keep you warm but you will get wet.  Let me know if you want me to bring some for you.

      I plan to bring a rowboat; two chainsaws; a cooler with drinks; cables, nails and hammers for anchoring logs; clippers; and a desire to have a good time.  I hope that you are able to join us.

      Call me if you have any questions.  I would also appreciate knowing if we should be expecting you to come by email or phone.

      My home phone number is 248-634-3513 and work phone is 248-335-8785.  If I am not home, leave a message on the machine and I will get back to you.

      If on Sunday, something comes up and you cannot come after having already said you would, please call me on my cell phone if you do not get me at home.  Normally, I do not carry my cell phone with me during the week but I will have it with me on Sunday.  248-866-3069.

      Chuck Julian

      Waterworks Park is in Holly, MI.