Fw: River cleanup

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2011

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Chuck Julian <chuck.julian@...>
      Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 11:21 AM
      Subject: River cleanup

      We had another great turnout for the river cleanup.  We ended up deciding to split the group into two groups,  one group went to Bird Road to work toward the Byron Mill Pond and the other started at Bridge Street in Linden.  The Bird Road group was expecting to not find a lot to cut till they got to Duffield Road and instead discovered that with the lower water level, there were some pretty big trees that emerged and required clearing.  They didn't get to Duffield and instead returned to Bird Road around 3:45 to take out.  The Linden group cut and cleared quite a few log jambs and only made it as far as McCaslin Road by 4:00.  We discovered that with the cutting we needed to do and the 7.2 miles we had to cover, it was a pretty long day, though the weather was sunny and warm and the river was really beautiful.  Afterward, we ate Pizza at Maggie's house.  She, as usual, was wonderful host and doesn't mind having a group of damp volunteers enjoy her company and hospitality.

      Since we did not make it past Duffield on this trip, we will need to tackle going to Byron next year.  I will keep you posted as to when we start scheduling cleanups for next year.  Many thanks not only to those who helped with this cleanup, but to all of those whose efforts have kept the river open and who have contributed in the past with their labors.

      Although the river is currently in pretty good shape, there are many dead ash trees along the river that by next spring could fall in.  It could again require a lot of work just to maintain the river we have opened, so enjoy it now, while you can and think about joining us next spring and summer.  Headwaters Trails has its Fall, Canoeing in Color tour coming up October 1, 2011.  That will be a perfect opportunity to get out on the river even if you don't own a canoe or kayak.  Details on that should be posted at Headwaterstrailsinc.org, soon.  Be sure to join us and experience the Shiawassee which is as beautiful and wild as most rivers up north.

      You can join us for meetings of Headwaters Trails.  These are normally the first Wednesday of each month, meeting in the Holly Village Council chambers at 7:00.  Please let me know if you would like a reminder before the meetings.

      If you do not want to be part of my mailing list, please let me know and I will remove your name.  Likewise, if you know people who would like to be on it, have them drop me a note.  People who are members of the Fenton Area Paddlers yahoo group need to just remove their names from that server if they do not wish to get email and people can recommend other join that group.