Fw: Request for River Scouting reports

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2011

      ----- Forwarded Message -----
      From: Chuck Julian <chuck.julian@...>
      Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 6:08 AM
      Subject: Request for River Scouting reports

      I have heard from Doug Lanyk that the Shiawassee River from Holly to Fenton is pretty obstructed with trees, due to the recent storms.  I would appreciate any scouting reports that could be sent to me regarding the rest of the river from Fenton to Bird Road.  I am looking for reports of current conditions, since the recent storms.  Depending upon those reports, this Sunday's cleanup may need to be concentrating upon re-opening the river to Bird as opposed to trying to continue down to the Byron Mill Pond.  At least part of the crew will need to be focused on Holly to Fenton.

      Chuck Julian
      248-335-8785 work
      248-634-3513 home
      chuck.julian@...
      chuck.julian@...

    • Aaron Vandyke
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2011
        Linden to cole rd. Paddled on sunday. 2 up and over trees. Portage at old farm bridge and day farm driveway. Many tight limbo trees.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2011
          Headwaters Trails will be sponsoring two river cleanup efforts on Sunday August 7, 2011 at 9:00 am.
          If you live closer to Holly, go to Waterworks Park to join Doug Lanyk in the re-clearing of the Holly to US-23 stretch. The rest of you can meet Chuck Julian at the Bird Road bridge in Argentine.

          Doug & Jimmy did a scouting paddle after the recent storms and reported that the Shiawassee from Holly to Fenton is pretty obstructed with trees. We would appreciate any scouting reports from Linden to Bird Roa since the storms.  Depending upon those reports, this Sunday's cleanup may need to be concentrating upon re-opening the river to Bird as opposed to trying to continue down to the Byron Mill Pond.

          This is a rain or shine, "get-er-done" event.

          We need people with had tools and/or chain saws as well as boats to transport supplies and carry trash. We do not know how deep the river will be so bring your own kayak or canoe. If you do not have either Doug Fairbanks has generously offered to loan us canoes if you let us know you need one. People without saws can share Chuck’s if they want to cut.  You can also help move logs to the banks as well as pickup trash.

          If you are only able to work for part of the day, that is OK.  We appreciate any time you have to give to us.

          Please bring gloves for working in the water, we will be picking trash.  We recommend sun screen and that you wear a hat, long pants and sturdy shoes. If you plan to use a chainsaw, you should have glasses and ear plugs.

          Bring something to drink and some sort of snack. Dinner will be at Maggie’s in Linden after 4:00. She will provide the main course and would appreciate donations to balance out the meal. (810-735-9570).

          Chuck Julian
          248-335-8785 work
          248-634-3513 home
          chuck.julian@...