Re: Shiawassee headwaters.

  • acrackashowin
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
      --- In Fenton-area-paddlers@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Lanyk <dslanyk@...> wrote:

      > The Shiawassee is clear from Waterworks Park in Holly to Fish Lk. Rd.
      > Steve and I went on a short scouting expedition yesterday. I brought a
      > chainsaw because I hate portaging. We took out 12 trees blocking the
      > river to clear our path. Since the river is just at flood stage the
      > culverts are a bit on the short side and when the water goes down there
      > will be a few more smaller trees to clear. By next week I'm expecting
      > the Fenton Mill Pond to break up so we can get out and clear the rest of
      > the way to Fenton. If anyone is interested in helping give me a shout.
      >
      > Douglas

      I was just By the Fenton mill pond at 5:00p and saw no Ice, so if your free and up for it I'm avalable tomorrow( Sunday).
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2011
        Did anyone go from Fish Lake to Fenton before it got cold and wet again?

        > The Shiawassee is clear from Waterworks Park in Holly to Fish Lk. Rd.
        > Steve and I went on a short scouting expedition yesterday. I brought a
        > chainsaw because I hate portaging. We took out 12 trees blocking the
        > river to clear our path. Since the river is just at flood stage the
        > culverts are a bit on the short side and when the water goes down there
        > will be a few more smaller trees to clear. By next week I'm expecting
        > the Fenton Mill Pond to break up so we can get out and clear the rest of
        > the way to Fenton. If anyone is interested in helping give me a shout.
        >
        > Douglas

        I was just By the Fenton mill pond at 5:00p and saw no Ice, so if your free and up for it I'm available tomorrow( Sunday).

      • Steve Hoffman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2011
          Today I went from Fish Lake rd upstream to Acadamy dr  and then back downstream past Fish lake and almost to the grasslands before I was stopped by laziness and a tree blocking the river.
          There were at least a dozen places that needed attention in that span, none of witch required portage either upsream or down at the current water level (high). A tree has fallen just upstream from Fish Lake rd since Doug and I cleared that area a week ago.