Paddle Marathon or Grand adventure part two

  • Douglas Lanyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2010
      We Made It! Holly to McCaslin Lk. Rd. past Argentine.

      Willi and I left Waterworks Park just after 8:00 AM. It was a clear
      brisk morning with the temperatures in the high 20's The sun glinting
      off of the frost was a preview of the beauty that we would see. The
      water is very high! Beware the 3 tubes at this water level. I became
      fully awake when I did a gear check in the middle tube. My equipment
      for the day included my new Prijon kayak, my new drysuit, and the skirt
      from my Dagger. The Prijon is a lot longer and narrower than my
      dagger. When I tried to duck low and shoot the tube my control was
      minimal. Between the high current and my lack of experience in this
      boat I ended up practicing my half roll. The positives of the incident
      are. My skirt held even if it is not a perfect fit, and my drysuit
      works well. A little bit of pumping and chasing down a runaway thermos
      put us back on the quest. There are several passable but annoying trees
      down in the next 2 miles so it was a bit of a slog. For those who
      want to explore you can go down several channels not normally open.
      From Fish Lake Rd. to Fenton it was a smooth paddle. That may change a
      bit with lower watter levels. In Fenton we picked up Steve for the rest
      of the trip. Steve also thought swimming was a good idea. He tried a
      commando launch below the Fenton dam. After a little bit of pumping we
      were on our way. From the dam to Strom park is a wild and fun ride.
      It's most of a mile of solid class II rapids. Be sure to duck at the
      bridges. There are 2 trees down near Bush Park and another half a dozen
      or so down behind the apartments. Two of which involve a portage. Lake
      Ponemah was a high energy paddle. There was a steady 20 MPH Southerly
      breeze and the associated white caps. We ordered carry out from the
      Linden Hotel from Tupper Lake. This gave us a nice rest while sitting
      in the terraces looking at the Linden water wheel. From Linden to Hogan
      Rd. it was a great paddle, wide fast and smooth. Past Hogan Rd. there
      were more trees down. We would have been portaging if is wasn't for the
      flood. The waste water plant is having an issue. "The Digester process
      has experienced an upset." is a quote from Joe Goergen from Genesee
      Drain Commissioners office. In short at the moment it stinks. Once we
      left the woods past the sportsmens club It was a smooth paddle for the
      rest of the day. We pulled up at McCaslin Rd about 7 PM. It was a full
      day. 21.8 miles with a lot of trees down. Time to fire up the chainsaws.

      Doug.
    • willi
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2010
        Pics from the Saturday paddle on the Shiawassee River
        http://community.webshots.com/album/577312783NwHuwA?vhost=community