Shiawassee Status Report

  • Douglas Lanyk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2009
      Great day everyone. You missed a beautiful day on the river. Willi and
      I traveled from Waterworks Park in Holly to Strom Park in Fenton today.
      The river was surprisingly clear of trees considering the big windstorms
      we had over the winter. To start the trip the water was high enough to
      paddle the original course of the river near Waterworks Park. This was
      a first for us. It gives a different perspective on the waterworks
      building and the bridge. Continuing down the river rather than portage
      most of the blockages we ran into using a chainsaw to go through them
      seemed the easier choice. (OK I just like using a chainsaw.) We did
      cut up at least 8 trees and broke up a couple of log jams mostly built
      from last summers cut trees coming free of their moorings. We did leave
      1 small portage and there are multiple spots where you need to duck or
      perform interesting maneuvers. The sunshine was invigorating, the light
      breeze cooling, and the water refreshing. I didn't get in past my
      nipples but was happy to be in the water that deep. (I was wearing
      chest waders.) The waterfowl were starting their search for nesting
      sights. Most of the larger river birds common in the region were in
      generous attendance. On the down side the amount of garbage on the
      river was the worst I've seen in several years. There are a lot of
      beverage containers with some assorted buckets and other lawn type
      decorations scattered throughout our journey.

      In short the river is passable, but needs cleaning. The first official
      cleanup of the year will be on Sunday May 3rd starting at noon from
      Waterworks Park in Holly. We will need several chainsaw wielding
      persons along with several litter collectors.

      Hope to see you all on the river soon.

      Douglas Lanyk.
    • Chuck Julian
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2009
        Good to hear about your river excursion. Do you remember that Josh
        McCready's students want to do a cleanup on the 9th from Holly to
        Fenton? They are only prepared to pickup litter and not chainsaw.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2009
          Yes I do.  There is plenty of garbage for all.