Fw: River cleanup May 18, 2014

    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2014
      On Friday, May 9, 2014 8:59 AM, Chuck Julian <chuck.julian@...> wrote:

      Headwaters Trails will be having a river cleanup on Sunday May 18, 2014.
        We will meet at Waterworks Park in Holly, at 9:00 am and hope to be
      off the river around 1:00.  From there, we will spot cars in Strom Park
      and move down to Fish Lake Road for the start.  The reason for this is
      that the water is high right now and both the tubes under the railroad
      tracks and the Academy Foot Bridge will be problems between WW Park and
      Fish Lake Road.  We will do that stretch on Sunday June 1, 2014, meeting
      at the same spot.

      The only report I have on the river is that it is quite blocked up with
      trees and branches.  Please bring your clippers, saws and trash grabbing
      tongs if you have them.  I will bring two chainsaws, a cooler full of
      drinks and cables to anchor logs to the banks.

      If you are coming, please let me know.  You can call my house at
      248-634-3513, or just reply to this email.  If you have extra room for
      another passenger, please let me know.  There are several people who
      come, who do not have boats.  It is best if you have a canoe or rowboat,
      because those can haul equipment down the river and trash out.  If not,
      a kayak will do.  If you do not have a boat, let me know and I will try
      to arrange a ride in one of the boats.  I am bringing a rowboat, so I
      need one other person to help paddle it.  I personally often have
      trouble carrying all of my equipment, so if you have room, I may want
      you to carry some of it.  You will need a boat to get across the Fenton
      Mill Pond and Haddon Lake.  If you bring a rowboat, a trolling motor
      might be nice to help you get across the Fenton Mill Pond.  We generally
      find that it is easiest to use kayak paddles with a rowboat when in the
      river due to all the twists and turns and due to the narrowness of much
      of the river.

      Please wear shoes or boots with sturdy soles.  A lot of dock boards have
      floated down the river in years past and there are known to be nails and
      broken glass on the bottom in places.  It is a good idea to wear long
      pants and a long sleeve shirt so that you don't get too scratched up by
      branches.  Gloves are a plus.  I always wear a hat to keep the sun out
      of my eyes.  If you burn easily, you might want to bring sun screen.  If
      you plan to use a chain saw, glasses and ear plugs are a good idea.  A
      towel and dry clothes are a good idea for when we get out.

      Our river cleanups use best management practices.  This means that we do
      not clear the river of all branches.  Instead, when we need to cut, we
      only cut enough to make the river passable.  The branches that we do
      cut, we anchor along the banks of the river as shore protection and fish
      habitat.  Check out the best management practices on our website at
      www.headwaterstrailsinc.org.

      We will have a short presentation of river safety and ask you to sign a
      waiver before we go down the river.  When we get out of the river, I
      plan to treat all the participants to lunch at one of the local restaurants.

      This should be a lot of fun, so let me know if you are able to make it.
      --
      Chuck Julian

      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2014
        On Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:37 AM, Chuck Julian <chuck.julian@...> wrote:

        The river cleanup scheduled for Sunday May 18, 2014 is cancelled.  We
        will still have the June 1, 2014 cleanup and I am adding Saturday June
        7, 2014, with the Saturday cleanup meeting at Water Works Park at 5 pm.

        The May 18th cleanup is cancelled because Greg Schovan and Nick Fournier
        went down the river from Fish Lake Road to Strom Park, taking out 12
        trees.  Greg said that it would be a waste of time to go again, due to
        the water being so high.  He was able to float over anything else that
        might be exposed by lower water.

        I am adding a cleanup on Saturday June 7th, which is the day before the
        adventure paddle.  I work that day, so I am planning to meet people at
        Water Works Park at 5 pm.  If anyone else is able to schedule one
        earlier in the day, that would be great and the 5 pm will not be needed,
        but until someone else schedules such a cleanup, there is one scheduled
        for 5 pm.

        Chuck Julian