BBC Debate on Human Trafficking

  • Annick T.R. Wibben
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2011
      Dear All -
      I am forwarding this from another listserv since it seemed of interest to this group.
      I would also like to encourage others to  post materials (and updates on publications) as you find them.
      You can do so by sending and e-mail to feministsecuritystudies@yahoogroups.com.
      Best,
      Annick*

      ***

      Date:    Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:07:40 +0100
      From:    laura agustín <laura@...>
      Subject: BBC Debate on Trafficking

      Last December the BBC World Service invited me to speak at one of their
      World Debates to be held in Luxor, Egypt: Can Human Trafficking Be
      Stopped? The occasion was a campaign event attended exclusively by people
      who agree and the organisers (including Mrs Mubarak and the UN Office on
      Drugs and Crime) did not wish it but the BBC insisted they could not hold
      a debate without disagreement. What I referred to in my book as the Rescue
      Industry is now a major, multi-faceted field and academic production is
      very heavy and scattered across many disciplines. The change over the 16
      years I have been thinking about the phenomena is enormous. Now you can
      watch it online:

      http://www.lauraagustin.com/bbc-world-debate-on-trafficking-online-sex-lies-and-videotaping

      or http://tinyurl.com/6ku8rj2

      I described why I was going despite knowing it would be highly unpleasant:
      http://www.lauraagustin.com/the-naked-anthropologist-attends-a-un-event-to-end-human-trafficking

      I made a short report when it was televised the weekend of 18-19 December:
      http://www.lauraagustin.com/bbc-world-debate-dates

      I was interviewed about it in the Huffington Post not long ago:
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-henry-sterry/trafficking-the-bbc-the-n_b_803593.html

      Historians will note how such events are manipulated into specific
      narratives. It has been edited so that all the audience interaction is cut
      in at random new points. One result is that Mira Sorvino’s (as UN Goodwill
      Ambassador for Trafficking) attack on me, which took place very early on,
      has been shortened, softened and moved close to the end. Alas, the comment
      made that I am like a holocaust denier isn’t heard here.

      Media mavens may notice how often they cut back to my reactions. There is
      no drama in four panellists agreeing about everything, and 50 minutes is a
      long time to expect television viewers to stay tuned. Now you understand
      why the BBC invited me and why the editors keep cutting back to me.

      Some people who saw this on television criticised me for frowning, which
      leads me to reveal that those are not my own eyebrows but a Bollywood
      version added by a makeup artist at the last moment. I am far more likely
      to laugh than frown – which can also be criticised of course.

      You can’t tell but the temperature had sunk to five above zero and we on
      the panel could not wear coats, so the whole time I was pressing my hands
      on my leg to avoid shivering and shaking.

      The debate is in five parts, with the following description on the BBC site:

      Human trafficking exists in almost every country on earth. As many as 27
      million people are estimated to live in modern slavery. Can this problem
      be stopped?

      Zeinab Badawi presents this World Debate from the Luxor Temple in Egypt.

      The panel consists of:

      Laura Agustin, Author, Sex at the Margins
      Sophie Flak, Executive Vice-President, Accor
      Rani Hong, Trafficking Survivor
      Siddharth Kara, Author, Sex Trafficking
      Ronald Noble, Secretary General, Interpol

      Laura Agustín, The Naked Anthropologist

      Sex at the Margins: Migration, Labour Markets and the Rescue Industry
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/ASIN/1842778609/?tag=lauragus-20

      --
      Annick T.R. Wibben, Ph.D.

      Chair, International Studies
      Asst. Professor, Politics
      University of San Francisco
      2130 Fulton Street
      San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
      U.S.A.

      Phone 415.422.5058
      Fax 415.422.2101
      Email awibben@...

      Author of Feminist Security Studies: A narrative approach (Routledge, 2011)
      Available in the U.S. on February 28, 2011: http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415457286/