Intro

  • barrowamy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 8:52 AM
      It is good to touch base with people before ISA particularly as this
      is my first ISA convention. My name is Amy Barrow presently in the
      final stages of completing my doctoral thesis on gender
      mainstreaming in a peace and security context focusing on the
      challenges of implementing UNSCR 1325.

      I find it difficult to accurately define my research approach but my
      background is predominantly socio-legal. I'm particularly interested
      in exploring the impact of international law and policy in practice.
      In addition to a theoretical examination of gender mainstreaming in
      peace and security I have undertaken empirical research, including a
      short period of time spent in Nepal engaging with women activists
      who are actively working with UNSCR 1325.

      I'm presently based in the Law School, University of Manchester, UK
      where I teach in law and the ethics of war and warfare, human
      rights, gender and law and core subjects on the LLB Law Honours
      programme. In my spare time I act as voluntary coordinator of the
      Women, Peace and Security working group with UK WILPF, a member of
      the GAPS (Gender Action for Peace and Security) coalition which
      lobbies the UK Government on its policies related to gender issues
      in peace and security.

      I look forward to meeting you all in person and hearing your insight
      on these important issues.

      All the Best,

      Amy
    • soumita611
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6 2:00 PM
        Thank you Annick and Laura! It is great to be part of this community.
        Thanks for the introductions. Here is mine:
        I am currently working on my PhD in Aberystwyth (UK), and my thesis
        focuses on the adoption of SCR 1325. My research interests include:
        critical security studies, feminist IR, Gramscian thought and role of
        scholarship.
        At the department here, I've been teaching assistant on three separate
        modules on war, strategy & intelligence, post-conflict reconstruction
        and international conflict resolution. As part of my field research, I
        was summer research associate at the PeaceWomen Project of the WILPF
        UN office in NY last summer. Before beginning the doctoral programme,
        I worked for about three years with Women in Security, Conflict
        Management and Peace (WISCOMP) in New Delhi and Kashmir. A lot of my
        academic curiosity is about the interface of theory, practice and
        policymaking.
        I look forward to meeting you in San Francisco. And attending all the
        Feminist Security panels (somehow!)
        Best wishes,
        Soumita