Welcome!

  • profwibben
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
      Since we have now reached ten members, I thought it might be a good
      moment to invite everyone to introduce themselves.

      When you have a moment, please tell us something about your background
      and your research agenda as well as about what you're hoping to get
      out of the FSS yahoogroup!

      Best,
      Annick*
    • Dr. Laura Sjoberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008

        Alright, well, this is in my inbox, so …

        My name is Laura Sjoberg, and I am assistant professor of political science at Virginia Tech.

        My Ph.D. is from the University of Southern California, under the advisement of Ann Tickner and (the late/great) Hayward Alker in 2004. I took a couple of years off after that before joining the academic community proper to go to law school – which I finished at Boston College last May.

        My research agenda … I always have trouble putting that in a “box” … I suppose that it is a much-distracted attempt to mainstream gender in Security Studies. My first book Gender, Justice, and the Wars in Iraq reformulated just war theory from a feminist perspective and applied that reformulation to the wars in Iraq after the Cold War. Other work on just war has been published in ISQ and International Politics. I’ve also done work on women’s violence in global politics  - most recently, articles in International Relations and the Austrian Journal of Political Science, as well as (with Caron Gentry) the book Mothers, Monsters, Whores: Women’s Violence in Global Politics.

        Most recently, I’ve been more focused on issues of mainstreaming gender in Security Studies. I’m editing a special issue of the journal Security Studies and a follow up edited volume Gender and Global Security (Routledge 2009). I’ve written an article/chapter called “Gendering Power Transition Theory.” I am currently working on a book manuscript tentatively titled “Gendering Global Conflict: A Feminist Theory of War” – which will explore feminist alternatives to dominant explanations for war and peace.

        I suppose that I hope to get out of this getting to know the people that I don’t – and engaging in a dialogue about these issues that we all care about.

        Best,

        Laura Sjoberg

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
          Hello, Im Ronni Alexander.

          It is nice to meet you all. Ive joined this group because I want to
          make some new friends and have some people to with whom to communicate.
          I left the US in 1977 and have lived in Japan ever since. If I were to
          give myself a box, I supposed it would be activist/scholar. I have
          always felt pretty overwhelmed at ISA, but Im hoping to have a good time.

          Introductions. I came to Japan in 1977 to work for the YMCA, and got
          sent to Hiroshima. I found myself very involved in anti-nuclear
          politics and in helping survivors tell their stories. In 1979, I got a
          chance to travel throughout Asia for a few months, visiting YMCA
          projects and talking about peace. After about 5 years in Hiroshima, I
          decided to leave Japan but got as far as Tokyo, where I enrolled in
          graduate school, writing about why the nuclear-free Pacific made perfect
          sense. It was before the days of human security, and I was writing
          about endogenous security (from within, or from the ground up). I got
          offered a job as a research associate in the Faculty of Law at Kobe
          University, and that led eventually to a tenured position as professor
          of transnational relations in the Graduate School of International
          Cooperation Studies. I continue to be interested in what makes people
          and other living creatures secure and that is reflected in all I do.
          The focus of my teaching and writing is gender and conflict, and much of
          it is about the Pacific Islands.

          My current passion is my Popoki Peace Project. Ive written a picture
          book about peace and use it in university and community peace education.
          If you are interested, Ill show you a copy. Or have a look at my not
          very well updated website: http://popoki.cruisejapan.com

          this turned out a bit longer than intended. apologies.
          ronni

          --
          Ronni Alexander/
          Professor of Transnational Relations

          657-8501
        • nicoledetraz
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
            Hi. I'm feeling a little intimidated after the first two introductions,
            but here goes. My name is Nikki (or Nicole) Detraz and I am currently a
            PhD student at Colorado State University. I am relatively new to the
            area of gender and security, but I have found a definite passion for
            the subject.

            My dissertation focuses on the intersections of gender, security and
            the environment. I did my Masters thesis on dissecting the concept of
            environmental security and realized that gender has not been a strong
            focus in most of the literature on security and the environment- thus
            my current project. I argue that by not incorporating gender into
            discussions of security and the environment, both scholars and
            policymakers are working under a partial picture of the security
            threats of environmental change. In order to better understand
            discourses on security and the environment and the role of gender
            within them, I am looking at cases of water issues in the Ganges-
            Brahmaputra-Meghna water basin and hope to do a few weeks of field work
            in India in the fall.

            I have been overwhelmed by the warm, positive response to me and my
            work by this gender and security community. As someone new to the area,
            this has been extremely encouraging. I was happy to meet a few of you
            in Chicago and can't wait to meet more of you at this year's ISA
            conference.

            -Nikki Detraz

            --- In FeministSecurityStudies@yahoogroups.com, "profwibben"
            <awibben@...> wrote:

            > Since we have now reached ten members, I thought it might be a good
            > moment to invite everyone to introduce themselves.
            >
            > When you have a moment, please tell us something about your background
            > and your research agenda as well as about what you're hoping to get
            > out of the FSS yahoogroup!
            >
            > Best,
            > Annick*

          • Kirsti Stuvy
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
              Hi.

              I feel just like Nikki, but here a few lines also about me:

              Im a PhD student at theUniversity of Troms , Norway . I moved to Troms four years ago after graduating from the University of Hamburg, Germany. In my PhD research I study the concept of human security. For that purpose I draw upon the work of French sociologist Pierre Bourdieu and his theory of practice. The concern is to discuss the security practices of non-state crisis centres for women; how do non-state crisis centres practice security? To learn about security from the viewpoint of crisis centres, I travelled to Russia and met with enthusiastic and knowledgeable crisis centre representatives at the Russian countryside (up north, in the regions Murmansk , Archangelsk and Karelia), as well as in Moscow and St. Petersburg . In the Russian northwest, crisis centres emerged in the late 1990s, and they represent an agent of change in regard to womens security. Anyhow, Im interested in feminism, security theory, violence, human security in the north. At ISA Im looking forward to learning more about all the interesting ongoing research on security, gender, women, etc. I hope there will be interesting and critical discussions.

              Kirsti

              <awibben@... > wrote:

              > Since we have
              now reached ten members, I thought it might be a good
              > moment to invite
              everyone to introduce themselves.

              > When you have a moment,
              please tell us something about your background
              > and your research agenda
              as well as about what you're hoping to get
              > out of the FSS
              yahoogroup!

              > Best,
              > Annick*

            • Annick Wibben
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
                Dear All -
                Since I can't assume you all know me (though many of you do), here's my
                brief introduction:

                I am currently an Asst. Professor of Politics at the University of San
                Francisco, where I also chair our program (a minor) in Peace and Justice
                Studies and am actively involved in the International Studies program (a
                fast growing major) which I chaired in interim capacity during the
                2006-2007 academic year. In addition, I am also affiliated with our
                Gender and Sexualities Studies program (another minor), though not in
                any official capacity (i.e., no meetings to attend there). I regularly
                teach our Introduction to International Politics class as well as the
                following upper level classes: Feminist IR, Theories of IR, and Politics
                of Peace and War.

                My research is located at the intersections of the fields I also teach
                in - that is, feminist IR, security studies, and IR theories - meaning
                that I am particularly interested in the intersections of feminist (IR)
                THEORY and security studies THEORY. I am currently writing a book which
                aims to develop a feminist security THEORY (of some sort). It's called
                Feminist Security Studies: A Narrative Approach and is slated to be
                published by Routledge (as soon as I get the revised manuscript to them
                and they turn it around...). I have also written on feminist theory in
                IR more generally (I am interested in keeping communication with the
                mainstream alive... though not on their terms), on women and war, on
                identity politics, and on human security in recent months.

                Prior to joining USF, I spent a few years at the Watson Institute at
                Brown University working on the Information Technology, War and Peace
                Project (our website, while a bit outdated since the project has stalled
                since I left, is still up at www.infopeace.org and is a great resource
                for material on the aftermath of 9/11). I am 'originally' from Europe
                and studied in Germany, Finland and the UK, where I received my Ph.D. in
                International Politics from the University of Aberystwyth, Wales.

                I think that should suffice for now... we'll have an opportunity to chat
                more at ISA and beyond.

                Best,
                Annick*

                Annick T.R. Wibben, Ph.D.
                Asst. Professor, Politics Department
                Program Director, Peace and Justice Studies
                University of San Francisco
                2130 Fulton Street
                San Francisco, CA 94117-1080
                Tel. 415.422.5058
                Fax 415.422.2101
                Email awibben@...

                ON LEAVE DURING SPRING 2008
              • parashar_swati
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Hie All

                  this is a wonderful space to interact and share ideas.

                  I am Swati Parashar from India and currently enrolled as a PhD
                  candidate at the Lancaster university in the UK.I am now based in
                  Sydney for a while and have recently been appointed tutor at the
                  Department of Politics and International Relations, University of New
                  South Wales, Australia.

                  I have been working on political violence and terrorism issues. I was
                  a Research Analyst with the International Centre for Political
                  Violence and Terrorism Research at the Institute of Defence and
                  Strategic Studies (IDSS), Singapore.(march-sept. 2006) Before joining
                  IDSS I was an Associate Fellow at the Observer Research Foundation,
                  New Delhi, where I coordinated the International Terrorism Watch
                  Programme (Sept. 2003-Dec.2005). I was a Fulbright Fellow at the
                  Institute of Global Conflict and Cooperation, University of
                  California, San Diego, US, in Jan-Feb 2006. I have published
                  extensively on terrorism and security related issues in both print
                  and online media and have presented papers at many conferences. I am
                  the editor of Maritime Counter Terrorism : A Pan Asian Perspective,
                  Pearson Longman, Delhi, 2007 and co-editor, Terrorism in South East
                  Asia-Implications for South Asia, Pearson Education, Delhi, 2005.

                  I have always been interested in 'mainstreaming' gender in my works
                  on terrorism and political violence. As a feminist, it was appalling
                  to see how much of the dominant discourse on terrorism has nothing to
                  do with women or their concerns. My current research project is on
                  Feminist International Relations Theories and Security Studies and
                  the case of women militants. My thesis focuses on women militants in
                  Kashmir and Sri Lanka and I am working under the supervision of Prof.
                  Christine Sylvester and Dr. Nayanika Mookherjee at Lancaster
                  University.

                  I have a Masters Degree in International Relations from Jawaharlal
                  Nehru University, New Delhi and a Bachelors Degree in History from
                  Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi.

                  I have met some of you at ISA last year and I learnt a great deal
                  through my interactions. I look forwrad to more posts on this web
                  space and meeting some of you at ISA again.

                  PS: I am crazy about cricket! If any of you share that passion we
                  would have that 'extra-cover' as they say in the cricket language.

                  --
                  Swati Parashar
                  PhD Candidate
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2008

                    I don’t know if this is what this list is for, but I thought of it as I was feeling a little frustrated, and decided to send an email.

                    I am writing this new book – just embarking on it – which is in theory a feminist re-interpretation of the mainstream literature on war. Specifically, I am writing a sample chapter for publishers – the chapter on strategy.

                    So I took a page out of graduate school, and first went to the library to collect the “strategy literature” after a citation database search. In my dining room (the study of the week) are 71 books (monographs and edited volumes) and 110 articles that constitute the part of the citation database that was available at my library. I am about 80% of the way through it, and I have read not a single book or book chapter by a woman, and only one article. I’m not even asking for a consideration of gender – just a name that isn’t a white man. Nothing! And I know, that’s why I am doing this project; and I know that I knew this already – but, four days into it, I just feel a lot more alienated/homeless than I thought I would.

                    So I figured sharing the experience might make it easier to deal with.

                    Anyway, sorry for clogging your email boxes.

                    Laura

                  • Annick Wibben

                      > I don't know if this is what this list is for, but I thought of it
                      > as I was
                      > feeling a little frustrated, and decided to send an email.
                      >

                      > I am writing this new book - just embarking on it - which is in
                      > theory a
                      > feminist re-interpretation of the mainstream literature on war.
                      > Specifically, I am writing a sample chapter for publishers - the
                      > chapter on
                      > strategy.
                      >

                      > So I took a page out of graduate school, and first went to the
                      > library to
                      > collect the "strategy literature" after a citation database search.
                      > In my
                      > dining room (the study of the week) are 71 books (monographs and
                      > editedvolumes) and 110 articles that constitute the part of the
                      > citation database
                      > that was available at my library. I am about 80% of the way through
                      > it, and
                      > I have read not a single book or book chapter by a woman, and only one
                      > article. I'm not even asking for a consideration of gender - just a
                      > namethat isn't a white man. Nothing! And I know, that's why I am
                      > doing this
                      > project; and I know that I knew this already - but, four days into
                      > it, I
                      > just feel a lot more alienated/homeless than I thought I would.
                      >

                      > So I figured sharing the experience might make it easier to deal
                      > with.
                      >

                      > Anyway, sorry for clogging your email boxes.
                      >

                      > Laura

                    • Ronni Alexander
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 7, 2008
                        As someone who might be near the fore-mother category....
                        years ago, the Japan Association of International Relations and ISA had
                        a joint conference in Japan. The head of JAIR made a public comment to
                        the effect that the worst thing that ever happened to ISA was the
                        creation of the feminist theory and gender studies section and the
                        invasion by feminists.... We were of course very upset, especially
                        those of us who had hopes of starting a similar section in JAIR (still
                        an aspiration...). Ann Tickner saved the day by saying, "And we weren't
                        even trying!"

                        ronni

                        --
                        Ronni Alexander/