Feingold on C-Span tonight

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
      ON ROAD TO THE WHITE HOUSE
      Feingold & Warner in N.H.
      Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) and former Virginia Governor Mark Warner
      (D) address the New Hampshire Democratic Party's annual covention. It
      takes place at St. Anselm's College in Goffstown, New Hampshire. New
      Hampshire is expected to hold the nation's first presidential primary
      in 2008.
      ON SUN., C-SPAN, 6:30PM ET

      http://tinyurl.com/s2tb8

      State Democrats hear from potential 2008 candidates
      By Holly Ramer, Associated Press Writer | June 3, 2006

      MANCHESTER, N.H. --Despite Republican scandals, Democrats will not
      win back majorities in Congress by default, U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold
      told New Hampshire Democrats on Saturday.

      Speaking at the state party's annual convention, Feingold, D-
      Wisconsin, rejected the idea that Democrats should just lay low and
      let Republicans self-destruct.

      "Some say 'we've got it made ... let's not rock the boat,'" he said,
      "but I believe that's exactly how we lost in 2002 and 2004. We won't
      win by default. We won't win by just running out the clock. We'll
      only win if we show we are willing to discuss tough subjects or else
      we will be perceived as weak and full of fear."

      Regaining the majority will be meaningless unless Democrats develop
      the backbone necessary to stand up for their principles, said
      Feingold, considered a possible 2008 presidential hopeful.

      "The Democrats were in the majority in the U.S. Senate when we voted
      for the Iraq war and passed the U.S. Patriot Act," he said. "It's not
      enough to be in the majority, you have to stand for something."

      Feingold said wherever he goes, conservatives, liberals and moderates
      all ask him the same question. "When are you guys going to start
      standing up?"

      To emphasize his point, Feingold listed all the things he's voted
      against, including the Iraq war, the Patriot Act, the North American
      Free Trade Agreement and the No Child Left Behind Act.

      When it comes to Iraq, Feingold said there's some truth to the
      perception that Democrats "won't stand up when the administration
      starts its saber rattling."

      Feingold, who has called for removing U.S. troops from Iraq by the
      end of the year, said many Democrats started to back him up but
      eventually "went back into their fox hole."

      "Why are so many Democrats so timid about saying what everyone in
      American knows -- it's time to get the troops out of Iraq," he said.

      Another potential presidential hopeful, former Virginia Gov. Mark
      Warner, put his own spin on the "stand up" theme, telling the crowd
      that his biggest problem with the Bush administration is that "this
      president has never asked us to come together as Americans to stand up."

      He said Bush has missed numerous opportunities to ask Americans to
      put aside their differences and work together, including the Sept.
      11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Hurricane Katrina and the war in Iraq.

      "After our troops were in harm's way, if the president had said,
      'Maybe we ought to have an energy policy that's a little different,'
      I would've done my part, you would've done your part. Americans would
      have done their part. But the president missed his opportunity,"
      Warner said.

      He cautioned against removing troops from Iraq too quickly, saying
      "going out without a plan is just as bad as going in without a plan."
      The only way Iraq's new government will succeed is if Americans bring
      Iraq's neighbors to the table to help bring stability to the region,
      he said.

      The crowd reacted most enthusiastically to Warner's criticism of the
      Bush administration's energy policy. He noted that the United States
      spends less than $2 billion a year on research into renewable energy,
      compared to $7 billion a month in Iraq and that Bush has failed to
      connect the dots between energy policy and national security, and
      between renewable energy and creating jobs.

      "That would require an administration that believes in science," he
      said.
    • DeeAnna Roberts

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
          If you haven't stopped by to check out the Blog stop by and have a look.  Below are some of the recent topics that we have covered.

          We need to all learn how to speak up and the "50 Blog Plus Abroad" strategy is an excellent way to find the words.  It is time to let everyone know how we will make the world a better place and how we would do it in a way that puts people first.

          Also let me know what you think - we all have to help each other get it right. We need to create a spirit and policy that demonstrates people really do matter - and believe me it is a lot harder said then done.

          Bill Quam
          Bratislava, Slovakia

          http://americansabroad4russ.blogspot.com/

          Saturday, June 03, 2006

          Security through Creativity

          Recently Senator Feingold spoke before the Center for Strategic and International Studies and gave a talk entitled "Beyond Iraq: Refocusing our National Security Strategy". As usual this speech was a masterful blend of current reality and a creative vision for America. Security, War, Peace and Defense are not topics that many Democrats are comfortable addressing in the same speech.
          -----------

          Friday, June 02, 2006

          The health of the American way of life...depends on us all

          Today there was a message from Move-on about the results of their positive agenda poll. Here are the results of what some of us thought were the most important issues facing America today. Almost 97% of the more than 100,000 "voters" in the poll selected one of this items.
          ---------------

          Wednesday, May 24, 2006

          Economic growth for everyone - is it possible?

          No - it is required!

          So often I hear that we Progressives do not have real ideas of how to grow an economy so real growth is achieved for all. During the Clinton years the ones who are middle class did extremely well, especially during the "Dot Com" years. But still the unlucky ones at the bottom half of the income ladder were left behind or forgotten both in America and globally. And here I do not even include places like the Democratic Republic of the Congo or Rwanda.
          ------------------------------

          Monday, May 08, 2006

          My deep concern about the recent nomination of General Michael Hayden to the post of Director of the Central Intelligence Agency

          Dear Senator Feingold,
          I am writing to you to voice my deep concern about the recent nomination of General Michael Hayden to the post of Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. My objection is not directed at the many qualifications General Hayden brings to the position about the technical aspects of the intelligence gathering structure of the United States. My deep concern and reservation has its roots in the “cultural” training the General has received over the years in his various positions in the Air Force. With all the problems our country has within the intelligence gathering community can we afford to nominate someone who has been trained and indoctrinated not to question any order from a superior especially from the President himself?

        • Tim W
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
            Me too. Yes, indeed he did rock!

            Quite a contrast between Russ and Warner's speech afterwards.

            TW

            --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, DeeAnna Roberts
            <deeanna_roberts@...> wrote:

            > I saw it.He rocked as usual.
            >
            > Mark <mark@...> wrote: ON ROAD TO THE WHITE HOUSE
            > Feingold & Warner in N.H.
            > Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) and former Virginia Governor Mark Warner
            > (D) address the New Hampshire Democratic Party's annual covention. It
            > takes place at St. Anselm's College in Goffstown, New Hampshire. New
            > Hampshire is expected to hold the nation's first presidential primary
            > in 2008.
            > ON SUN., C-SPAN, 6:30PM ET
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/s2tb8
            >
            > State Democrats hear from potential 2008 candidates
            > By Holly Ramer, Associated Press Writer | June 3, 2006

          • Neesha Mirchandani
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
              Hey Tim,

              What contrast did you notice in the audience reaction between Warner and Feingold?

              I just watched the C-SPAN video of Mit Romney's speech at Coe College and I was struck by what a good speaker he is. He didn't preach and he comes across as pretty down-to-earth. This was the first time I had heard him. I'm not that familiar with his politics but there seems to be a bit of buzz about him on the R side, just as Warner has attracted on the D side.

              - Neesha

              <deeanna_roberts@...> wrote:

              > I saw it.He rocked as usual.
              >
              > Mark
              <mark@...> wrote:  ON ROAD TO THE WHITE HOUSE
              > Feingold &
              Warner in N.H.
              > Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) and former Virginia Governor
              Mark Warner
              > (D) address the New Hampshire Democratic Party's
              annual covention. It
              > takes place at St. Anselm's College in
              Goffstown, New Hampshire. New
              > Hampshire is expected to hold the
              nation's first presidential primary
              > in 2008.
              > ON SUN.,
              C-SPAN, 6:30PM ET

              href="http://tinyurl.com/s2tb8">http://tinyurl.com/s2tb8

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
                It wasn't really the audience reaction I was referring to, more the
                speeches themselves. And I wanted to stop short of saying anything
                negative about a fellow Democrat, but since you asked... here is my
                purely subjective impression of the two:

                Russ -- real, genuine, down-to-earth, principled (but I assume anyone
                here already knows about Russ)

                Warner -- safe, calculated, focus-group-tested (dare I say "phony"?)

                --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, "Neesha Mirchandani" <neesha@...>
                wrote:

                > Hey Tim,
                >
                > What contrast did you notice in the audience reaction between Warner and
                > Feingold?

              • Bill Quam
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Yes you may.....

                  Bill

                  wrote:

                  > Hey Tim,

                  > What contrast did you notice in the audience reaction between Warner and
                  > Feingold?

                  Presidential election