Re: [Feingold08] Re: Who do you think would be a good team for '08?

  • Tony Eichberger
    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 18, 2005
      >my opinion, the southwest is the key to any national
      >electoral strategy.

      I disagree. While many Southwestern states are
      winnable in '08 (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado), it
      would be extremely disingenuous to write off the South
      in favor of diverting most of the "swing vote" focus
      onto the Southwest. Such a misguided strategy could
      result in a lopsided Republican majority in Congress,
      no matter which Democrat wins the White House.

      The Democratic ticket needs to pull in at least *SOME*
      of the Southern states in 2008, in order to keep
      Southern Democrats from losing Congress (and
      potentially sacrificing Democratic Senate or House
      majorities).

      My choice for Feingold's running mate would be U.S.
      Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas
      (www.lincoln2008.com) - - ok, I'm obviously biased,
      since Lincoln is my choice for the very top of the
      ticket (with Russ as a strong choice for her running
      mate)....but it would make sense to balance out the
      ticket in that way, if Senator Feingold is the
      Democratic nominee.

      Lincoln would help the ticket make inroads in the
      South, she would most likely deliver Arkansas for
      Feingold, and could potentially pull in a couple of
      other Southern states like Florida, Missouri,
      Louisiana, or North Carolina. Feingold's record is
      much more progressive than Lincoln's (she is very
      similar to Bayh in her politics), so the ticket would
      be able to effectively reach out to many
      self-identified centrists who have a knee-jerk
      reaction against Feingold.

      The historical significance of a Feingold/Lincoln
      ticket would also excite younger voters...and the
      "wholesomeness" of the two of them combined on a
      ticket would appeal to many of the largely-apolitical
      housewives and "NASCAR dads" who were duped into
      voting for Bush/Cheney last time around.

      Feingold and Lincoln are very different in their
      voting records, but let's face it: both are
      squeaky-clean and free from scandal (unlike Senator
      Clinton and Governor Richardson). What Blanche Lincoln
      lacks in foreign policy experience, Feingold makes up
      for in his Senate assignments (Russ certainly has just
      as much, if not more, experience with foreign policy
      as Hillary).

      Some of the Southern states are going to go Republican
      no matter who runs (Mississippi, Alabama, South
      Carolina)....but I'm saying the focus should be on the
      more MODERATE "bellweather" states in the South.

      Tony

      --- "Gerald D. Troiano" <gdtroiano@...> wrote:

      > well, geographically speaking, kerry only lost new
      > mexico by something like
      > .8%, compared to montanta and indiana where he lost
      > by 20+% in both. i
      > believe a ticket with richardson could do more
      > swinging in new mexico than
      > bayh, edwards or schweitzer could do in their
      > respective states.
      >
      > prior to clinton in '92, the last democrat to win
      > montanta was johnson in
      > '64. likewise, '64 was the last time a democrat won
      > indiana.
      >
      > i'm not too familiar with schweitzer's politics,
      > though i just read that he
      > applied for a license to hunt buffalo. but bayh is
      > just as much a
      > conservative democrat as richardson--perhaps more
      > so.
      >
      > my opinion, the southwest is the key to any national
      > electoral strategy.
      >
      > fraternally,
      > jerry
      > New Jersey for Feingold -
      > www.njforfeingold.org<http://www.njforfeingold.org>

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Gerald D. Troiano
      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 25, 2005
        though being from new jersey, the idea of an anybody/whitman ticket makes me ill.

        right. all of this vp discussion is interesting, but it's definitely putting the cart before the horse.  to get the "horse" ready, i would encourage everyone to give some loot to either the senator's Progressive Patriots Fund or to RussforPresident.com .

        On 10/21/05, ROBERT BURNHAM <juupdontrii@...> wrote:
        I was just throwing out names and sharing my thought that a bipartisan ticket might be good for our country, given how strongly divided it is.  I don't agree with Christie Todd Whitman on a lot of issues but she strikes me as much more reasonable than many in her party and she seems unhappy with the direction that her party has taken.  Anyway, like I wrote, "Russ first has to run, then he has to win the nomination.  Then it will be up to Russ whom he selects as his running mate.  I am sure that Russ will make an excellent decision, whomever he selects."

        Bob