Feingold on Huffington Post

  • Andrew Eldredge-Martin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005

      After the shifting justifications for war in Iraq, the rosy scenarios detached from reality, and the unreliable declarations of “mission accomplished,” it is clear that the Bush administration’s policy in Iraq is not working. The President missed another opportunity last night to come clean with the American people.

      With the country listening, the President had the chance to finally give our troops and the American public some sense of when he believes this conflict in Iraq will be over and when our brave men and women in uniform will come home. Instead, the President urged us to remember the lessons of 9/11. But it is with those lessons in mind that I oppose the Administration's current approach to Iraq. The President keeps talking about staying the course, but what the American people really want is candor and clarity about where this course is taking us.

      I have introduced a resolution calling for the President to provide a public report clarifying the mission that the U.S. military is being asked to accomplish in Iraq and laying out a plan and timeframe for accomplishing that mission. This doesn’t seem like much to ask for – after all, if we don’t have a clear plan and timeframe, how can we hold ourselves accountable for giving the military the tools they need to succeed in achieving those goals? The resolution also calls on the President to submit a plan for the subsequent return home of U.S. troops that is also linked to a timeframe, in order to restore confidence at home and abroad that U.S. troops will not be in Iraq indefinitely.