Re: A new way to GOTV: Quality instead of quantity.

  • koehnrandy
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, "Kay" <jetticus@y...> wrote:
      > > Yes, I agree. But how do you plan on doing that? The only thing I
      > could think of was getting core groups together in various areas and
      >
      > I will begin working on the membership committee of my county dem
      > party this year. I plan on making contacts with various goups who may
      > be willing to join the party but those are groups inhabited by people
      > who are already going to go dem in 08.
      > Ideas anyone?

      Have you checked out Drinking Liberally? Start a chapter, start a core group of liberals
      (not just Democrats - Liberals!) and start the ball rolling from there. I had the same
      experience with you as far as youthful, inexperienced, unfocused JK campaign contacts.
      Ours looked like he was still in high school and was hard to get information from. Then,
      he was reassigned to a more urban area and never replaced TWO WEEKS before the
      election.
      On top of this, our local party is run by two brothers and a moron. The don't contact area
      unions for support, they don't adequately advertise meetings, they even sent out incorrect
      dates for the year-end fundraising dinner.
    • mostatechamps
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
        I'm from Missouri. We had the same problem here. Our state party was
        completely unorganized. There were not enough signs, the local
        headquarters was locked up much of the time, and there was nobody
        answering the phone. The only time it was open was when one of the
        local candidates was nice enough to volunteer their time.

        The state party was just as bad. I visited the website over a month
        after the Kerry train tour through the state and it hadn't been
        updated since the visit.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2005
          --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, "mostatechamps" <summerflowers00@h...> wrote:
          > I'm from Missouri. We had the same problem here. Our state party was
          > completely unorganized. There were not enough signs, the local
          > headquarters was locked up much of the time, and there was nobody
          > answering the phone. The only time it was open was when one of the
          > local candidates was nice enough to volunteer their time.

          Our county party's location is a PO box. It took me several weeks to discover they existed
          because they are not in the phone book! As a teacher, I thought I could ask around to see
          if anyone was involved in the party - 100% of the people I asked (and they are all politically
          astute and active) didn't know there was a county party at all. Once I got in touch with the
          yokels, the complained of the same shortages, especially being skeptical of the Feingold
          campaign's lack of local support. We had obtained a Feingold sign early on in the
          campaign, otherwise, we didn't see more than two others in our town. Clearly, we're
          looking at a major overhaul at how to run and organize a campaign at all levels.
        • Kay
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 2, 2005
            --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, "koehnrandy" <noonan@m...> wrote:

            > --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, "Kay" <jetticus@y...> wrote:
            > > > Yes, I agree. But how do you plan on doing that? The only
            thing I
            > > could think of was getting core groups together in various areas
            and

            > > I will begin working on the membership committee of my county
            dem
            > > party this year. I plan on making contacts with various goups who
            may
            > > be willing to join the party but those are groups inhabited by
            people
            > > who are already going to go dem in 08.
            > > Ideas anyone?
            >
            > Have you checked out Drinking Liberally? Start a chapter, start a
            core group of liberals
            > (not just Democrats - Liberals!) and start the ball rolling from
            there. I had the same
            > experience with you as far as youthful, inexperienced, unfocused JK
            campaign contacts.
            > Ours looked like he was still in high school and was hard to get
            information from. Then,
            > he was reassigned to a more urban area and never replaced TWO WEEKS
            before the
            > election.
            > On top of this, our local party is run by two brothers and a
            moron. The don't contact area
            > unions for support, they don't adequately advertise meetings, they
            even sent out incorrect
            > dates for the year-end fundraising dinner.

            Is Drinking Liberally a drinking game? Sounds like one of those
            they do at bars everytime someone says something in particular. In
            our case we could do a shot everytime Bush assaults the english
            language........ no wait we don't don't have big enough livers for
            that:)
            In the next election I'm going to, come hell or high water, be the
            godmother of sorts of whoever they send here. The horror stories of
            young organizers is just ridiculasly widespread.
            Two brothers and a moron sounds like the beginning of a joke and
            not a good one either. I do know what you mean. Once a long time ago
            I saw a Latino at one of the partry mtg.s. And, they're held in a
            city with a high minority population--what's wrong with that
            picture,eh? I'm desperate to take over the county party. Not even by
            me but anyone who is ready to really take it seriously and spend some
            time and effort on remaking it to what it is supposed to be.
          • koehnrandy
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 4, 2005
              http://www.drinkingliberally.org/

              Check the map, from what I see in people's posts, there is probably a chapter near one of
              you. I'm working on getting one started up here, but with the holidays, a wife going to
              college full time, teaching and two young kids, starting an organization doesn't fit into my
              schedule well.

              One way to describe what the organization is would be: take this board, use real people
              instead of posts and add alcohol. :)