Bombs Bursting in Air

  • Bill Quam
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      Powerful words....

      Bombs Bursting in Air   Monday, July 3rd, 200By Cindy Sheehan

      The rockets red glare,
      Bombs bursting in air,
      Gave proof through the night
      That our flag was still there.

      Oh, say does that
      Star spangled banner yet wave,
      O'er the land of the free,
      And the home of the brave.

      The star spangled banner has been in the news quite a
      lot lately. Some "courageous" Senators, including one
      of my own, Dianne Feinstein and everyone's favorite
      left-wing liberal, Hillary Clinton, bravely stuck
      their necks out to support an amendment that would
      make it illegal to burn the flag of the USA under
      certain circumstances.

      Heaven forbid one of these pussillanimous public
      servants introduce, or even support a bill, that would
      call for an immediate end to the occupation of Iraq…or
      to even require that the President set a timeline for
      the withdrawal of our troops from a deadly quagmire of
      an occupation while they are handing him more money to
      wage the war crime in Iraq. As our nation's children
      are trying to only survive in the worst of
      circumstances, and by surviving are committing
      reprehensible atrocities on an innocent population
      which (especially in Ramadi right now) is having bombs
      burst in air all around them, that our Senate would
      even consider taking away first amendment rights from
      Americans is wretchedly ironic. Call me naïve, but I
      always thought that we elected our representatives to
      protect our rights, not take them away from us.

      When I look at the star spangled banner I think of my
      son who began wearing a uniform with the flag on it
      from the time he went into scouting at the age of 6. I
      also think of one of the last pictures taken of Casey
      when he was awaiting deployment to Iraq from Kuwait.
      He was standing in a tent holding a bottle of water,
      wearing his desert cammies with an American flag patch
      on the chest. When we buried him a few weeks after
      that picture was taken, I was handed a folded flag
      which reminded me of the swaddling blanket that I
      wrapped him in to bring him home from the hospital
      almost 25 years before.

      The star-spangled banner, which I can now see whipping
      in the wind outside of an airport terminal where I am
      writing this from does not fill me with pride: it
      fills me with shame and that flag symbolizes sorrow
      and corruption to me right now. The flag represents so
      much lying, fixed elections, profiting by the war
      machine, high gas prices, spying on Americans, rapid
      erosion of our freedoms while BushCo literally gets
      away with murder, torture and extreme rendition,
      contaminating the world with depleted uranium, and
      illegal and immoral wars that are responsible for
      killing so many. A symbol which used to represent hope
      to so many around the world now fills so many with
      disgust.

      When I look at that rectangular piece of cloth that
      has red and white stripes and white stars on a blue
      field, I wonder what the Iraqi people think when they
      see American tanks and other vehicles rumbling through
      their streets carrying doom with that symbol
      emblazoned upon them. Or, what could our flag possibly
      represent to them when their women are being raped and
      burned to conceal crimes and entire families are being
      killed by soldiers whose uniforms carry that symbol? I
      am sure that the flag symbolizes death and destruction
      to them which I hope they are not confusing with
      freedom and democracy.

      I often get told that I should "love America, or leave
      it." This is ridiculous logic and empty rhetoric. I
      love the country that I was born in and I love
      Americans…I am an American and so are my children.
      Casey was born and died a fine American who was abused
      by the same leaders that are abusing the world as I
      type. I could leave if I wanted to and, in fact, have
      received many offers to be an ex-patriate in many
      friendly countries. However, I want to stay and fight
      for my country. I want my country and the flag that
      symbolizes it around the globe to stand for something
      that we can all be proud of again.

      BushCo and the neocon regime embarked on this
      disastrous misadventure in Iraq to prove to the world
      how strong and virile Pax Americana is. Their abjectly
      failed mission, which was evil and corrupt from the
      beginning, has not proven how strong our nation is,
      but, on the contrary, how weak. However, the neocons
      have managed to prove, that how, with the "mightiest"
      war machine in the world an insurgency in a country
      smaller than the state of California can hold their
      false freedom and deadly democracy at bay. One other
      thing that the neocons have proven is that America is
      no longer the moral touchstone of the world but is a
      nation that commits torture and crimes against
      humanity with the presidential seal of approval.
      BushCo has destroyed any credibility our nation ever
      had in the world and all of us need to fight to regain
      it and thereby redeem our own souls.

      I implore you, while you are enjoying your potato
      salad and fireworks on the 4th to reflect on what the
      star-spangled banner means to you. If our flag
      symbolizes the same thing to you as it does to the
      neocons, then by all means, enlist and go to Iraq to
      let some of our soldiers come home that are tired of
      suffering and committing war crimes for Halliburton,
      Dick and Donny.

      If, however, you realize that the flag no longer waves
      "o'er the land of the free" and you would like it to
      again, we invite you to come out to Camp Casey this
      summer and help us fight for the heart and soul of our
      nation. If you realize that while you are "oohing and
      ahing" over the pretty fireworks in your home town
      that there are real bombs bursting on the people of
      Iraq, killing them and destroying their nation for no
      reason other than Dick Cheney wanted to, then you need
      to digest your 4th of July BBQ and get out and show
      Dicky and the world that we mean business when we say
      we want our troops to come home to save them and our
      brothers and sisters in Iraq.

      Thousands of peace loving and war hating members of
      the human race from all over the world are planning on
      coming to Crawford, Tx to Camp Casey again this summer
      to stand, sit, or camp in the face of the neocon war
      machine and prove to the world that there are
      Americans who will courageously speak for the people
      of Iraq and our soldiers who have no voices but who
      just want to be left in peace.

      Come to Camp Casey.

      We have room for everyone and everyone is welcome.

      Cindy Sheehan is the mother of Spc. Casey Sheehan who
      was KIA in Iraq on 04/04/04. She is also co-founder
      and President of Gold Star Families for Peace and
      author of Not One More Mother's Child and Dear
      President Bush.

    • DeeAnna Roberts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi Bill,

        In December of last year, I re-wrote the words to the "Star Spangled Banner" as a form of protest.I'd like to share it with you.Tell me what you think.

        Oh, Say can you see
        Where is my liberty
        It’s been stolen by Bush
        Through Illegal Wiretapping
        Whose broad lies and false wars,
        Has caused terrible strife
        Now the world hates our guts
        We’re no longer in the right
        And I don’t think it’s fair
        For Blacks Bush doesn’t care
        There’s proof from the floods
        FEMA was not there
        Oh, Say is there one ounce of Free Speech Left
        To wear a #@%&8 tee
        Without fear of arrest

        HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!