Re: How is russ Better than Mark? does Anyone Really Care about What we Think?

  • Tim W
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
      He's speaking right now on the Senate floor. C-SPAN 2 if you're near
      a television.

      Russ also has a diary on Daily KOS today:

      http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/6/6/105913/0724

      TW

      --- In Feingold08@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Burdette" <Jeff.Burdette@...>
      wrote:

      > In the spirit of the upcoming FMA debates, Russ has also been one of
      > Congress' strongest GLBT rights advocates.
      >
      > On 6/6/06, Moses Klein <mosesklein@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 6/6/06, pauldesmoines <pauldesmoines@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does russ Feingold support the death Penalty.
      > > >
      > > > If so, Why?
      > > >

      > > Absolutely not! Russ Feingold is the senator who introduced the
      bill to
      > > abolish the federal death penalty. He has consistently voted
      against adding
      > > more federal death penalty offenses for as long as he has been in the
      > > Senate, and was one of only 7 senators to oppose the Antiterrorism and
      > > Effective Death Penalty Act in the mid-90s (that was the one that
      limited
      > > death row inmates' access to federal courts, and led to a significant
      > > increase in the rate of executions in many states).
      > >
      > > I would suggest that there is nobody on Capitol Hill who has been a
      > > stronger opponent of the death penalty than Russ Feingold.
      > >
      > > --
      > > Moses Klein (mosesklein@...)
      > >

      > --
      > Jeff Burdette
      > Deputy Field Coordinator for Prince George's County
      > Duncan/Simms for Maryland
      > jeff@...
      > www.dougduncan.com
      > (443)253-6883

    • Seth Anthony
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
        Paul:

        I, too, am very dissapointed with BCRA (McCain-Feingold); I regard it as a dangerous restriction on free speech. I also dislike his position opposing school vouchers and educational choice for parents. But I can live with those things, because there are plenty of phenomenal reasons to enthusiastically support Russ Feingold in '08. Here are some of mine:

        (Disclaimer: I consider myself to be left-libertarian and am registered to vote as a Libertarian. And until Democratic Party leadership sees fit at *least* to make honorable calls like denounce corrupt politicans such as William Jefferson instead of defend them, that's where I'm going to stay.)

        * He understands what the real challenges facing America are: "Health care for all Americans is the most pressing domestic issue today."

        * He was the *only* senator to vote against the original PATRIOT Act. Although many Democrats made noises at the time about civil liberties concerns, they voted to compromise our civil liberties. Russ Feingold didn't.

        * He opposes the federal death penalty. I simply will not support a candidate who wants to keep the death penalty on the books. No compromises.

        * Unlike the Democratic leadership, he didn't flip-flop on opposing misguided "free trade" bureaucracies. He opposed NAFTA in the 1990's *and* opposed CAFTA in 2005. He's principled and *consistent*.

        * He's taken firm stands against wasteful government spending, earning him top ratings from anti-pork-barrel groups like the Concord Coalition. His own Senate office has returned significant unspent funds back to the treasury. He has refused to accept a pay raise while in the Senate, returning every penny above his original Senate salary. He's fiscally responsible.

        * Since 2002, he's been a consistent opponent of the War in Iraq, and has been consistently calling for a realistic timetable for bringing American troops home.

        * He understands, unlike many Democrats, that the Second Amendment is not a historical relic -- that it means an individual has a right to own and carry firearms for self-defense.

        * He supports full civil rights, including uncompromised marriage rights, for same-sex couples.

        * He's committed to protecting Social Security, and has for years spoken about the need to stop raiding the Social Security Trust Fund for the general budget.

        Russ Feingold is a breath of fresh air in a dangerously corrupt and dysfunctional political system. That's why he'll be getting my support in 2008.

        -- Seth

      • Willow Polson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
          At 11:54 AM 6/6/2006, you wrote:
          >I, too, am very dissapointed with BCRA (McCain-Feingold); I regard it as a
          >dangerous restriction on free speech. I also dislike his position opposing
          >school vouchers and educational choice for parents. But I can live with
          >those things, because there are plenty of phenomenal reasons to
          >enthusiastically support Russ Feingold in '08. Here are some of mine:
          >
          >(Disclaimer: I consider myself to be left-libertarian and am registered to
          >vote as a Libertarian.

          A Libertarian who is in favor of vouchers? Now there's a horse of a
          different color.

          Vouchers are code for "state-sponsored religious school." These perform
          worse, sometimes much worse, on the same standardized tests. Apparently
          they spend so much time on religious indoctrination that they aren't
          covering things like... oh... math and science.

          Please see www.au.org for examples of why vouchers are a bad idea.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Willow Polson www.acornheads.com
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Seth Anthony
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 6, 2006
            On 6/6/06, Willow Polson <willow@...> wrote:

            At 11:54 AM 6/6/2006, you wrote:
            >(Disclaimer: I consider myself to be left-libertarian and am registered to
            >vote as a Libertarian.

            A Libertarian who is in favor of vouchers? Now there's a horse of a
            different color.

            Vouchers are code for "state-sponsored religious school." These perform
            worse, sometimes much worse, on the same standardized tests. Apparently
            they spend so much time on religious indoctrination that they aren't
            covering things like... oh... math and science.

            Willow:

            I'd rather not get into a policy debate on this list. :) I'll forward you my thoughts on school vouchers off-list.

            -- Seth
          • Bill Quam
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 7, 2006
              Paul -

              Yesterday I had to go to Vienna, Austria and missed all this good dialog.

              In addition to all the very good reasons I would also like to suggest that it is really up to each one of us to be sure we do get heard.  We form the policy debate either by silence or by helping to have our position heard.  Since there are so many different voices trying to get the attention of Russ it is not easy but we cannot expect any guarantees by way of an individual response.  I would suggest that you only have to listen to what the Senator says and you know he does listen and he does care very much for this country and each American or person who lives in the US.

              I am sure the Senators staff gets a good laugh when they see yet another message from me but  I just keep it coming.  As Chair of Democrats Abroad Slovakia I strongly feel we must all get on fire if we want a different America - it is up to "We the People" afterall.

              Here is the link to the Senators web site to give him an ear full  http://feingold.senate.gov/contact.html

              Be well and become on fire for America!

              Bill Quam
              Bratislava, Slovakia

              pauldesmoines <pauldesmoines@...> wrote:
              I am Very Skeptical concerning the mcCain Feingold Campaign Finance
              Law. its Major effect is to help incumbents and Make it more
              Difficult for Anyone to challenge Them.

              has Feingold done Anything that I might perceive as positive or
              progressive?