God's Perfection

  • Heather A. Hannam
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2000
      God's perfection

      In Brooklyn, New York, there is a school that caters to
      learning-disabled children. Some children remain in the school for their
      entire school
      career, while others can be mainstreamed into conventional schools. At a
      fundraising dinner, the father of a disabled child delivered a speech
      that would
      never be forgotten by all who attended.

      After extolling the school and its dedicated staff, he cried out, "Where
      is the perfection in my son? Everything God does is done with perfection.
      But my child cannot understand things as other children do. My child
      cannot remember facts and figures as other children do. Where is God's

      The audience was shocked by the question, pained by the father's anguish
      and stilled by the piercing query. "I believe," the father answered,
      when God brings a child like this into the world, the perfection that He
      seeks is in the way people react to this child."

      He then told the following story about his son: One afternoon the
      father and son walked past a park where some boys were playing baseball.
      son asked, "Do you think they will let me play?" The Father knew that his
      son was not at all athletic and that most boys would not want him on

      But the father understood that if his son were chosen to play it would
      give him a comfortable sense of belonging. The father approached one of
      boys in the field and asked if his son could play. The boy looked around
      guidance from his teammates. Getting none, he took matters into his own
      hands and said, "We are losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth
      inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him up to
      bat in the ninth inning." The father was ecstatic as the son smiled

      The son was told to put on a glove and go out to play short center field.
      the bottom of the eighth inning, the boy's team scored a few runs but was
      still behind by three. In the bottom of the ninth inning, the team scored
      again and now with two outs and the bases loaded with the potential
      run on base, the son was scheduled to be up. Would the team actually let
      bat at this juncture and give away their chance to win the game?
      he was given the bat. Everyone knew that it was all but impossible
      he didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, let alone hit with it.

      However, as he stepped up to the plate, the pitcher moved a few steps to
      lob the ball in softly so he should at least be able to make contact.
      first pitch came in and he swung clumsily and missed. One of his
      came up and together they held the bat and faced the pitcher waiting for
      the next
      pitch. The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball
      softly toward the boys. As the pitch came in, the son and his teammate
      the bat and together they hit a slow ground ball to the pitcher.

      The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could easily have thrown the
      ball to the
      first baseman. The son would have been out and that would have ended the
      game. Instead, the pitcher took the ball and threw it on a high arc to
      right field, far beyond reach of the first baseman. Everyone started
      yelling, "Run to first. Run to first!" Never in his life had the boy run
      first. He scampered down the baseline wide eyed and startled. By the
      he reached first base, the right fielder had the ball. He could have
      the ball to the second baseman that would tag out the son, who was still
      running. But, the right fielder understood what the pitcher's intentions
      were, so he threw the ball high and far over the third baseman's head.
      Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second." The boy ran towards
      second base as the runners ahead of him deliriously circled the bases

      As he reached second base, the opposing shortstop ran to him, turned him
      in the direction of third base and shouted, "Run to third." As he rounded
      third, the boys from both teams ran behind him screaming, "Run home!" He
      ran home, stepped on home plate and all 18 boys lifted him on their
      shoulders and made him the hero, as he had just hit a "grandslam" and won
      the game
      for his team.

      "That day," said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face,
      "those 18 boys reached their level of God's perfection."