The Grocery List

  • Heather A. Hannam
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2000
      The Grocery List

      Louise Redden, a poorly dressed lady with a look of defeat on her face,
      walked into a grocery store. She approached the owner of the store in a
      most humble manner and asked if he would let her charge a few
      groceries. She softly explained that her husband was very ill and unable
      to work,
      they had seven children and they needed food.

      John Longhouse, the grocer, scoffed at her and requested that she leave
      his store. Visualizing the family needs, she said: 'Please, sir! I will
      bring you the money just as soon as I can." John told her he could not
      give
      her credit, as she did not have a charge account at his store.

      Standing beside the counter was a customer who overheard the
      conversation between the two. The customer walked forward and told the
      grocer-man
      that he would stand good for whatever she needed for her family.

      The grocer-man said in a very reluctant voice, "Do you have a grocery
      list?" Louise replied, "Yes sir!" "O.K." he said, "Put your grocery
      list on the scales and whatever your grocery list weighs, I will give you
      that amount in groceries."

      Louise, hesitated a moment with a bowed head, then she reached into her
      purse and took out a piece of paper and scribbled something on it. She
      then laid the piece of paper on the scale carefully with her head still
      bowed. The eyes of the grocer-man and the customer showed amazement
      when the scales went down and stayed down. The grocer-man, staring at the
      scales, turned slowly to the customer and said begrudgingly, "I can't
      believe it." The customer smiled and the grocer-man started putting
      the groceries
      on the other side of the scales. The scale did not balance so he
      continued to put more and more groceries on them until the scales would
      hold no
      more. The grocer-man stood there in utter disgust. Finally, he grabbed
      the
      piece of paper from the scales and looked at it with greater amazement.
      It
      was not a grocery list, it was a prayer, which said: Dear Lord, you know
      my
      needs and I am leaving this in your hands."

      The grocer-man gave her the groceries that he had gathered and placed
      on the scales and stood in stunned silence. Louise thanked him and left
      the store. The customer handed a fifty-dollar bill to John as he said,
      "It
      was worth every penny of it." It was sometime later that John Longhouse
      discovered the scales were broken, therefore only God knows how much a
      prayer weighs.