Favorite Stories #3

  • JInsley875@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 1999
      How many stories do you want a week? I think
      maybe 2 posts a week of 4 stories in a post.
      That would be 8 stories a week and 32 in a 4 week
      period. That is about 400 is one year ( I am sweeting
      already just thinking about it :-).Some people would
      not read any more than this or spend the time with it.
      Please vote or tell me what you think at
      JInsley875@...
      be sure to include the 875 in screen name.
      Thank you
      ======================================
      The Dash

      I read of a man who stood to speak
      at the funeral of a friend.
      He referred to the dates on her tombstone
      from the beginning...to the end.

      He noted that first came the date of her birth
      and spoke of the following date with tears,
      but he said that what mattered most of all
      was the dash between those years.

      For that dash represents all the time
      that she spent alive on earth.
      And now only those who loved her
      know what that little line is worth.

      For it matters not, how much we own;
      the cars...the house...the cash.
      What matters is how we live and love
      and how we spend our dash.

      So think about this long and hard...
      Are there things you'd like to change?
      For you never know how much time is left.
      You could be at "mid-dash range."

      Are there people that you've left behind?
      Things you've left unsaid?
      Words you need to think again?
      Fences you need to mend?

      If we could just slow down enough
      to consider what's true and real,
      and always try to understand
      the way other people feel.

      And be less quick to anger,
      and show appreciation more
      and love the people in our lives
      like we've never loved before.

      Can we treat each other with respect,
      and more often wear a smile ...
      Remembering that this special dash
      will only last awhile.

      So, when your eulogy's being read
      and your life is being rehashed,
      Would you be proud of what they have to say
      about how you spent your dash?

      Author Unknown
      ======================================
      From: LeTeegee@...
      Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 10:14:14 EST
      Subject: Welcome to FavoriteStories@onelist.com

      Hi... My name is Tg and I'm glad to be here! I've enjoyed
      reading your stories from the archives. I have a fav story
      called The Big Picture -- not the type that would be seen
      in Chicken Soup for the Soul since it is more of a fairy tale,
      but it does have deeper meaning to it regarding having faith
      with the bigger picture... believing in what we do not see...
      and because of this story, it has helped me live many areas
      of my life like this.

      The Big Picture

      Once upon a time in a tropical land, there lived a king who
      had an optimistic advisor. This lieutenant was so positive,
      in fact, that the king was often annoyed by his practice of
      constantly finding good in everything.

      One day while the king and the lieutenant were on a journey
      through the jungle, the king was chopping a fresh coconut
      for breakfast, and his machete slipped, cutting off his toe.
      The aching monarch limped to show his misfortune to the
      lieutenant, who exclaimed, "That's wonderful!"

      "What did you say?" asked the king, astonished.

      "This is a real blessing!"

      Hearing this response, the king became very angry; this
      man was obviously poking fun at his mishap.

      "Take it from me," the lieutenant exhorted, "behind this
      apparent accident there is some good we do not see."

      That was the last straw! Furious, the king picked up
      the lieutenant and hurled him into a dry well. Then he
      set out to find his way back to his castle.

      En route, the king was apprehended by a band of
      headhunters who decided that he would make an excellent
      sacrifice for this month's offering to the volcano. The warriors
      took him to the tribal priest, who prepared him for the dubious
      honor.

      As the holy man was anointing the reluctant sacrifice, he
      noticed that the king was missing a toe. "I'm sorry," the
      priest informed the king, "we cannot use you -- the volcano
      goddess accepts only full-bodied sacrifices; you are free to go."

      Overjoyed, the king hobbled out of the tribal camp.
      Suddenly it dawned on him that the lieutenant had been
      correct -- there was indeed a hidden blessing behind this
      seeming misfortune!

      As quickly as he could, the king found his way back to the
      well where he had left the lieutenant. To the ruler's delight,
      his companion was still sitting in the well, whistling happily.
      (He was indeed a positive thinker!) The king offered the
      lieutenant a hand, pulled him out of the well, and apologized
      profusely.

      "I am terribly sorry I threw you in there!" the king confessed,
      as he dusted his advisor's shoulders. "I was taken prisoner
      by some wild natives who were about to cast me into the
      volcano. But when they saw my toe was missing, they let me
      go. It was actually a miracle, which you foretold -- and I so
      thoughtlessly cast you into this pit! Can you ever forgive me?"

      "No apology necessary," replied the lieutenant. "It was also
      a blessing that you left me in the well."

      "Now how are you going to make something positive out
      of that?" quieried the king.

      "Because," the lieutenant explained, "if I was with you, they
      would have taken me for the sacrifice!"

      Author Unknown

      ======================================
      Date: 99-02-27 10:14:57 EST
      From: owp@... (orville)
      To: JInsley875@...

      THE JAGUAR XKE

      About ten years ago, a young and very successful executive
      named Josh was traveling down a Chicago neighborhood
      street. He was going a bit too fast in his sleek, black, 12
      cylinder Jaguar XKE, which was only two months old. He
      was watching for kids darting out from between parked cars
      and slowed down when he thought he saw something. As his
      car passed, no child darted out, but a brick sailed out and. . .
      WHUMP! -- it smashed into the Jag's shiny black side door!
      SCREECH...!!!! Brakes slammed! Gears ground into reverse,
      and tires madly spun the Jaguar back to the spot from where
      the brick had been thrown.
      Josh jumped out of the car, grabbed the kid and pushed
      him up against a parked car. He shouted at the kid, "What was
      that all about and who are you? Just what the heck are you
      doing?!" Building up a head of steam, he went on. "That's my
      new Jag, that brick you threw is gonna cost you a lot of money.
      Why did you throw it?"
      "Please, mister, please...I'm sorry! I didn't know what else to
      do!" pleaded the youngster. "I threw the brick because no one
      else would stop!"Tears were dripping down the boy's chin as he
      pointed around the parked car. "It's my brother, mister," he said.
      "He rolled off the curb and fell out of his wheelchair and I can't
      lift him up.
      "Sobbing, the boy asked the executive, "Would you please
      help me get him back into his wheelchair? He's hurt and he's too
      heavy for me."
      Moved beyond words, the young executive tried desperately
      to swallow the rapidly swelling lump in his throat. Straining, he
      lifted the young man back into the wheelchair and took out his
      handkerchief and wiped the scrapes and cuts, checking to see
      that everything was going to be OK. He then watched the
      younger brother push him down the sidewalk toward their home.
      It was a long walk back to the sleek, black, shining, 12
      cylinder Jaguar XKE - a long and slow walk. Josh never did fix
      the side door of his Jaguar. He kept the dent to remind him not
      to go through life so fast that someonehas to throw a brick at him
      to get his attention...

      Some bricks are softer than others. Feel for the bricks of life
      coming at/to you. "It was not with perishable things such as silver
      and gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life
      handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious
      blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect."
      1 Peter 1:18-19

      Author Unknown

      ======================================
      Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:28:13 +0200
      To: FavoriteStories@onelist.com
      From: Manos Krokos <mkrokos@...>

      Subject: Favorite Story

      "Once upon a time, there was a nice and cute island where
      all the feelings lived.

      There you could find Happiness, Knowledge, Charm,
      Patience and all of the others.

      One day suddenly it was announced to the feelings that
      due to a natural phenomenon the island would sink, so
      all of them should repair their boats and leave.

      It was not an easy task but at the end they did it.

      Love was the only one who stayed since she had not her
      own boat, and besides, because of her ideals Love tried
      to persevere until the last possible moment.

      When the island was almost sinking, Love decided to ask
      for help.

      Richness was passing by Love in a grand boat. Love said
      "Richness,can you take me with you?"

      Richness answered, "No,I can't. There is a lot of gold and
      silver in my boat. There is no place here for you. Sorry!!".
      Then he left.

      Love decided to ask Vanity who was also passing by in
      a beautiful vessel, "Vanity, please help me!"

      "I can't help you Love. You are all wet and might damage
      my boat." Vanity answered and left.

      Sadness was closed by so Love asked for help, "Sadness,
      let me go with you" "Oh...Love, I am so sad that I need to
      be by myself!"

      Happiness passed by Love too, but she was so happy that
      she did not even hear when Love called her.

      Suddenly, there was a voice,"Come Love, I will take you."
      It was an elder.

      Love felt so blessed and overjoyed that she even forgot to
      ask the elder her name.

      When they arrived at dry land, the elder went her own way.

      Love, realizing how much she owed the elder, asked
      Knowledge who's another elder, "Who helped me?"

      "It was Time." Knowledge answered.

      "Time?" Asked Love. "But why did Time help me?"

      Knowledge smiled with deep wisdom and answered,

      "Because only Time is capable of understanding how great
      Love is."

      Author Unknown