It's the Little Things

  • hahannam@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2012
      Lisa Beamer was recently on Good Morning America - If you remember,

      she's the wife of Todd Beamer who said 'Let's Roll!' and

      helped take down the plane over Pennsylvania that was

      heading for Washington , DC back on 9/11.

      She said it's the little things that she misses most about

      Todd, such as hearing the garage door open as he came

      home, and her children running to meet him.

      Lisa recalled this story:

      "I had a very special teacher in high school many years

      ago whose husband died suddenly of a heart attack.

      About a week after his death, she shared some of her

      insight with a classroom of students. As the late
      afternoon sunlight came streaming in through the classroom

      windows and the class was nearly over, she moved a few

      things aside on the edge of her desk and sat down there.

      With a gentle look of reflection on her face, she paused

      and said, ' Class is over, I would like to share with all of

      you, a thought that is unrelated to class, but which I feel

      is very important. Each of us is put here on earth to learn,

      share, love, appreciate and give of ourselves. None of

      us knows when this fantastic experience will end.

      It can be taken away at any moment.

      Perhaps this is the power's way of telling us that we

      must make the most out of every single day. Her eyes,

      beginning to water, she went on, 'So I would like you all

      to make me a promise. From now on, on your way to school,

      or on your way home, find something beautiful to notice.

      It doesn't have to be something you see, it could be a

      scent, perhaps of freshly baked bread wafting out of

      someone's house, or it could be the sound of the

      breeze slightly rustling the leaves in the trees, or the

      way the morning light catches one autumn leaf as it

      falls gently to the ground. Please look for these things,

      and cherish them. For, although it may sound trite to

      some, these things are the "stuff" of life.

      The little things we are put here on earth to enjoy.

      The things we often take for granted.

      The class was completely quiet. We all picked up our

      books and filed out of the room silently. That afternoon,

      I noticed more things on my way home from school than

      I had that whole semester. Every once in a while, I think

      of that teacher and remember what an impression she

      made on all of us, and I try to appreciate all of those

      things that sometimes we all overlook.

      Take notice of something special you see on your lunch

      hour today. Go barefoot. Or walk on the beach at sunset.

      Stop off on the way home tonight to get a double dip ice

      cream cone. For as we get older, it is not the things we

      did that we often regret, but the things we didn't do.

      53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
      consumerproducts.com