The Ant and the Contact Lens

  • Heather A. Hannam
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2000
      True story...spiritual experience. Worth reading.

      THE ANT AND THE CONTACT LENS

      A true story by Josh and Karen Zarandona.

      Brenda was a young woman who was invited to go rock climbing. Although
      she was scared to
      death, she went with her group to a tremendous granite cliff. In spite
      of her fear, she
      put on the gear, took a hold on the rope, and started up the face of that
      rock. Well, she
      got to a ledge where she could take a breather. As she was hanging on
      there, the safety
      rope snapped against Brenda's eye and knocked out her contact lens.
      Well, here she is on
      a rock ledge, with hundreds of feet below her and hundreds of feet above
      her. Of course,
      she looked and looked and looked, hoping it had landed on the ledge, but
      it just wasn't
      there.

      Here she was, far from home, her sight now blurry. She was desperate and
      began to get
      upset, so she prayed to the Lord to help her to find it. When she got to
      the top, a
      friend examined her eye and her clothing for the lens, but there was no
      contact lens to be
      found. She sat down, despondent, with the rest of the party, waiting for
      the rest of them
      to make it up the face of the cliff. She looked out across range after
      range of
      mountains, thinking of that Bible verse that says, "The eyes of the Lord
      run to and fro
      throughout the whole earth." She thought, "Lord, You can see all these
      mountains. You
      know every stone and leaf, and You know exactly where my contact lens
      is. Please help
      me."

      Finally, they walked down the trail to the bottom. At the bottom there
      was a new party of
      climbers just starting up the face of the cliff. One of them shouted out,
      "Hey, you guys!
      Anybody lose a contact lens?" Well, that would be startling enough, but
      you know why the
      climber saw it? An ant was moving slowly across the face of the rock,
      carrying it!

      Brenda told me that her father is a cartoonist. When she told him the
      incredible story of
      the ant, the prayer, and the contact lens, he drew a picture of an ant
      lugging that
      contact lens with the words, "Lord, I don't know why You want me to
      carry this thing. I
      can't eat it, and it's awfully heavy. But if this is what You want me to
      do, I'll carry it
      for You." At the risk of being accused of being fatalistic, I think it
      would probably do
      some of us good to occasionally say, "God, I don't know why you want me
      to carry this
      load. I can see no good in it and it's awfully heavy. But, if you want
      me to carry it, I
      will."

      "God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called."