Quilt of Holes

  • Heather A Hannam
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 5:04 PM

      QUILT OF HOLES  Author unknown

       As I faced my Maker at the last judgment, I knelt before the Lord along with all the other souls.  Before each of us laid our lives like the squares of a quilt in many piles.  An angel sat before each of us, sewing our quilt squares together into a tapestry that is our life.

      But as my angel took each piece of cloth off the pile, I noticed how ragged and empty each of my squares was.  They were filled with giant holes.  Each square was labeled with a part of my life that had been difficult, the challenges and temptations I was faced with in every day life.  I saw hardships that I endured, which were the largest holes of all.

      I glanced around me.  Nobody else had such squares, other than a tiny hole here and there.  The other tapestries were filled with rich color and the bright hues of worldly fortune.  I gazed upon my own life and was disheartened.

      My angel was sewing the ragged pieces of cloth together, thread bare and empty, like binding air.  Finally the time came when each life was to be displayed, held up to the light, the scrutiny of truth.  The others rose; each in turn, holding up their tapestries.  So filled their lives had been.

      My angel looked upon me, and nodded for me to rise.  My gaze dropped to the ground in shame.  I hadn't had all the earthly fortunes.  I had love in my life, and laughter, but there had also been trials of illness, and wealth, and false accusations that took from me my world, as I knew it.  I had to start over many times.  I often struggled with the temptation to quit, only to somehow muster the strength to pick up and begin again.  I spent many nights on my knees in prayer, asking for help and guidance in my life.  I had often been held up to ridicule, which I endured painfully, each time offering it up to the Father in hopes that I would not melt within my skin, beneath the judgmental gaze of those who unfairly judged me.

       And now, I had to face the truth.  My life was what it was, and I had to accept it for what it was.  I rose and slowly lifted the combined squares of my life to the light.  An awe-gasp filled the air.  I gazed around at the others who stared at me with wide eyes.  Then, I looked upon the tapestry before me.  Light flooded the many holes, creating an image, the face of Christ.

      Then our Lord stood before me, with warmth and love in His eyes.  He said, "Every time you gave over your life to Me, it became My life, My hardships, and My struggles.  Each point of light in your life is when you stepped aside and let Me shine through, until there was more of Me than there was of you."

      May all our quilts be threadbare and worn, allowing Christ to shine through!

    • Heather A Hannam
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2009
        Quilt of Holes

[...]

        An awe-filled gasp filled the air. I gazed around at the others who
        stared at me with wide eyes.

        Then, I looked upon the tapestry before me. Light flooded the many
        holes,creating an image, the face of Christ. Then our Lord stood before
        me, with warmth and love in His eyes. He said, 'Every time you gave over
        your life to Me, it became My life, My hardships, and My struggles.

        Each point of light in your life is when you stepped aside and let Me
        shine through, until there was more of Me than there was of you.'

        May all our quilts be threadbare and worn, allowing Christ to shine
        through!

        Digital Photography - Click Now.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTDvmPqHLchoZsundnpbdYqS88dXarHPQpMN6w4kULiAMgqgsgZ2OM/